• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 01:30 AM

E. Our law states that you can only use reasonable force against an intruder or attacker, that is of equal or less force. When someone is shot after breaking and entering its called Manslaughter here, not self defence. So basically you are only allowed to kill someone if they kill you first. hmmmm.

Whilst this seems ridiculous, and yes, even to me, it seems to be working for the now.

A few years back a man went to jail over just such a thing here. He was burgled on successive nights, so he laid and waited for them on the third night. When the intruder came back he shot the intruder in the knee. This was not of equal or less force and was considered premeditated and thus went to jail for awhile. sad.gif

It was proved that most of that movie was a bunch of fabrications and lies. He took things out of context. Mike Moore is nothing more than a lying communist.

Never heard that. I can see points on both sides, however one of those sides is unarmed smile.gif

#22 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 02:34 AM

He only wounded the guy, but ended up going to jail? For protecting his home? Sheesh, that's a little ridiculous if you ask me. I suppose it also depends on if the guy was given a warning before he shot or if he just shot on sight.

#23 Tron

Tron

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 03:00 AM

Just remember that the first thing Hitler did before he started all the killing was disarm the people......

#24 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 04:07 AM

It's the difference in the law here. It must be equal or less force than used against yourself. There are pros and cons to it.

What is acceptable in one country may not be in another. Whilst it may be a right in some countries to bare arms, in others it's not. Are we better off for it? Time will tell.

I'm not an advocate for or against guns. I am an advocate for better control over who is allowed to have own one and for harsher penalties for those who break the rules or use them in violent crimes.

Guns don't kill people, but easy access to and a culture that has grown up with the norm owning one or more simply can't help in my opinion.

Sorry if this fuels the debate.

#25 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,005 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 05:15 PM

Guns don't kill people, but easy access to and a culture that has grown up with the norm owning one or more simply can't help in my opinion.

I agree with zamiel. Here in Greece- and I think in most of the world- we don't have guns, we don't want them and we are happy to know that people around us don't have guns too.If it was the opposite we would feel much less safer.

He only wounded the guy, but ended up going to jail? For protecting his home? Sheesh, that's a little ridiculous if you ask me. I suppose it also depends on if the guy was given a warning before he shot or if he just shot on sight.

Well, shouldn't he call the police instead of ambushing them? Here in Greece this is called "self-justice"( I don't how to translate it exactly but I think you understand), it is strictly prohibited and punished by the law. We had incidents in the past that people who had weapons for hunting shot strangers who tried to rob their house and they were procecuted and convicted. You see, we are also very sensitive on the subject of the "less or equal force" that zamiel mentioned. We can't accept that you can take the life or harm the health of a person seriously or even permanently in order to save your money or property, since money can't buy health or life. Even the police officers are not allowed to shoot without serious reason and in some cases that they did, except of being procecuted, there was a huge reaction expressed mainly by the mass media.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users