#1 jamewoong

jamewoong

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 09:16 PM

Hi,
I just got 4 VCDs from my uncle recorded from his country during a celebration. The problem is the VCD is not compatible with my DVD Player, so I have to record it from a new and better CD. When I insert that CD into my drive by choosing "Image Making Wizard", I could see the following:

Disc Type: CD-XA
Recordable: NO
Volume Label: NEW

I would like if you could add a feature to edit the Volume Label of a MDS, CUE or CDI? I would like to change the NEW into "Part 1" because there are 4 parts. I know the alternative way is to make a ISO then change it name by using a ISO program then burn it using alcohol (the program that I trust the most smile.gif ). But by doing so, it will waste time, so why don't you just add a feature, so we could edit the name?

Thanks

#2 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 02:20 AM

The purpose of Alcohol is to copy discs to make as close a duplicate as is physically possible. To add in features to modify those images would defeat the purpose of Alcohol. Still, what I think is moot, it's the devs opinions that count.

#3 jamewoong

jamewoong

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 10:40 PM

Or it is possible to create a plugin for it? By that way, it won't defeat the real purpose of alcohol, isn't?

Anyway, thanks for the reply! smile.gif

Alcohol is always the BEST!!! smile.gif

#4 sagji

sagji

10% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 01:14 PM

While the primary requirement is to create a good image, there is a supplementary requirement to be easily usable.
The problem I have is that some manufacturers of recorded DVDs (specifically BBC) use the product code as the label. The result of this is if I have several BBC DVDs mounted then selecting the correct drive in my DVD player (which shows the label and drive letter) can be difficult as it requires I remember the drive I mounted it on, or go out and look in A.

#5 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 09:12 PM

In many cases altering the disc image (however minute) can break the law, hence Alcohol does not allow this.

#6 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 06:17 AM

Moreover, a better way to sovle this is to send requests directly to the game producers and ask them to use meaningful labels in future, rather than troublesomely changing the names yourself, and the original discs can never be changed anyway.

#7 sagji

sagji

10% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 01:00 PM

QUOTE (MaLing @ Sep 20 2005, 07:29 AM)
Moreover, a better way to sovle this is to send requests directly to the game producers and ask them to use meaningful labels in future, rather than troublesomely changing the names yourself, and the original discs can never be changed anyway.

This presupposes you can persuade large organisations to change their policy - I doubt it would be easy to pursuade the BBC to change from using the product code to using a descriptive title.

As a workaround to changing the image would it be possible to have the changed label associated with the mount instead of making the change to the image.

#8 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 07:46 AM

I personally think this is possible. After we burn a DPM image, the disc label shows 'NEEDS EMULATION' when the RMPS emulation is not ticked; the disc label shows the original name when the RMPS emulation is ticked.

Therefore technically I think we can choose a custom name during making an image, and the label names can be switched between by ticking and unticking an option box.

However, there will be a problem if a custom name is chosen during making a DMP image.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users