5 replies to this topic

#1 steve_mazza

steve_mazza

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 05:37 AM

Making bakcups of games can be quite consuming and depends on a whole host of factors.

Will there be a time when alcohol could simply take the complexities out of making legal back ups? For example, "put disk in", and then the software makes a perfect copy (i.e knows the copy protection etc etc). The user of the software need not worry about all of the different things needed. In short, the forums and discussion would shrink.

Otherwise, the level of frustration limits usability.

I would be interested in other user opinions and the development team as to whether such a time would exist.

Regards

#2 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 05:40 AM

I believe due to legal restrictions and the existance of a good protection scanners out there, Alcohol has no plans to incorporate one in to their program in the forseable future.

Moving to Development Suggestions For Future Versions.

#3 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 06:26 AM

If you particularly mean combining Alcohol and A-Ray Scanner, then this has been raised numbers of times, including by myself, but the answer is negative due to the law's restriction.

If it could be done, it would have already been done since it would have been an extremely easy job.

And moreover, I do not see there are any relations with version 10. blink.gif

Edited by MaLing, 04 January 2006 - 06:27 AM.

#4 steve_mazza

steve_mazza

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 04:24 AM

QUOTE (MaLing @ Jan 4 2006, 07:38 AM)
If you particularly mean combining Alcohol and A-Ray Scanner, then this has been raised numbers of times, including by myself, but the answer is negative due to the law's restriction.

If it could be done, it would have already been done since it would have been an extremely easy job.

And moreover, I do not see there are any relations with version 10.  blink.gif

What I was also implying is that there would be no need to be concerned as to media nor hardware. I have made a legal backup only to see it work perfectly well on my PC, but not my lap-top etc etc.

#5 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 05:25 AM

Unfortunately, software can never make hardware do more than it's capable of. Poor quality media limits the hardware to less than it's capable of doing, and poor quality drives can only be made to do just so much. There's not much Alcohol or any other software can do about that.

(And because I know someone's going to bring it up, overclocking does not invalidate my first point. Because while overclocking can push hardware beyond what it currently does, it cannot push hardware beyond what it's physically capable of)

#6 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 05:38 AM

Yes, Jito. And the term 'Overclocking' should be properly defined as 'Go over the clock speed recommended (preset) by the manufacturer' but not 'Go over the equipment's physical clock speed', which is always impossible.

Edited by MaLing, 05 January 2006 - 05:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users