• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 gypsylady

gypsylady

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 106 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 07:32 PM

okay, i have a broken liteon. dont care its ancient, need a new one. wouldnt have had that one if BIGTY here hadnt told me go buy it. dont know if hes around anymore.

heres the thing. i want one that is just a cdrw, dont need dvdr, already have that one...but its been so many years since i needed a drive i dont know what to look for....so anyone have any suggested models? i think i want plextor this time...want to be able to do securom and the most up to date protection. would be great if i could order online.

anyone? suggestions?

#2 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 08:31 PM

wouldnt have had that one if BIGTY here hadnt told me go buy it. dont know if hes around anymore

He's more pear shaped tongue.gif

Try the LiteOn LTR52327s. It's not done me wrong.

#3 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:32 AM

Ty is around, but he appears when he does. I suggest that you use a crystal ball to catch him. tongue.gif

Nowadays, the price difference between DVD and CD drives can be ignored. I should suggest a DVD drive.

However, the price difference betwen LiteOn and Plexter is big. I should not suggest Plextor unless you need a very professional job.

#4 gypsylady

gypsylady

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 106 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:18 AM

but if i were to want a plextor, not that i need one...how much are we talking, and where might i buy it? what is the model?

QUOTE (MaLing @ Mar 15 2006, 05:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ty is around, but he appears when he does. I suggest that you use a crystal ball to catch him. tongue.gif

Nowadays, the price difference between DVD and CD drives can be ignored. I should suggest a DVD drive.

However, the price difference betwen LiteOn and Plexter is big. I should not suggest Plextor unless you need a very professional job.

#5 ChiefNuts

ChiefNuts

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 173 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 11:36 AM

Plextor Premium - Already End of Life, You MIGHT be able to find one for anywhere between 60 - 100 dollars. Excellent DAE and can make very good copies of protected media with specific programs/apps.

#6 BigTy

BigTy

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 11:48 AM

I am the ghoust of Christmas past. O wait a minute that isnt my part his year wink.gif.My vote.

#7 2005

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 12:14 PM

Plex Priemums are named that for a good reason, they cost a pretty preimum.

The newer lite-ons will do you no wrong. EFM capabilities are about the only issues in some dvd drives. I dont know much about liteys... never owned one. And although this NEC ND 2510A cant do EFM very good its still never done me wrong (300ish dvd burns alone and counting)

#8 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 12:26 PM

And although this NEC ND 2510A cant do EFM very good

I have the same drive and I am really pleased. The only problem that I had was incompatibility with some 16x DVDs which was resolved by upgrading the firmware from the original 2.15 to 2.18( it was the newest then, I don't know if a newer one is available). As for the EFM capability I only tested it with the Safedisk 2.90 Chessmaster 9000( copied with success with the Safedisk 2/3 profile at low speed) but in the list of the supported drives by Alcohol there is a quote that this, and other drives marked with an asterisk, don't pass the 2.51 EFM test at full speed but they do pass it at lower speeds.

#9 gypsylady

gypsylady

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 106 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE (BigTy @ Mar 15 2006, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am the ghoust of Christmas past. O wait a minute that isnt my part his year wink.gif.My vote.

hey! nice to see you after so long!! im already ordering this drive as you suggested...my only question is...what the heck is lightscribe?

#10 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 04:39 PM

Ooh, that's a nice one, Ty. I might just order that myself, as my SOHW-1633S is starting to show its age.

#11 ptolomeus3

ptolomeus3

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 05:00 PM

Plextor Premium yahoo.gif

#12 BigTy

BigTy

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:17 PM

This is the drive I ordered to replace my 832s. Lightscribe allows you to burn images onto lightscribe media instead of using lables or a sharpie. Keep in mind you have ot have a lightscribe DVD or CD.

#13 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 11:43 PM

Ty, you have a lady in your fan club. biggrin.gif

#14 BigTy

BigTy

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:02 AM

Correction I have 3 My wife daughter and mom. whistling.gif. All other fall under the groupies class wink2.gif yahoo.gif

Edited by BigTy, 16 March 2006 - 07:08 AM.

#15 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:59 AM

Well, I just ordered one of those LiteOn SHM-165H6S drives from Newegg. I'm glad I waited an extra day, as they dropped $2, heh. I was getting fed-up with this I/O Magic drive in my work PC that wouldn't extract DPM info from my F.E.A.R. disc, regardless of speed. I knew I should have kept my 12x LG in here, but I didn't think far enough ahead. At least now I'll have a decent drive in my work PC again. Thanks for the link, Shawn.

#16 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 06:14 AM

Wooowwwww, Ty, may I possibly join your fan club? It seems there are a lot of advantages... blush.gif

QUOTE (Jito463)
Thanks for the link, Shawn.

??? Jito, or were you in fact refering to this?

QUOTE (BigTy)
I am the ghoust of Christmas past.

(Ty is the ghost of Shawn.) wink2.gif unsure.gif blink.gif rolleyes.gif

#17 BigTy

BigTy

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 09:33 PM

Glad to help Jito now when I ask about if you had a problem with a game there is no reason for me to get a "I don't know" answer. whistling.gif

Maling

I found that picture just for you, I really don't know any asian women. I know a few latin butt load of black whites. So if you see any for my groupie club send them my way smile.gif.

Ty the alter ego of Sean wink.gif.

#18 gypsylady

gypsylady

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 106 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 10:54 PM

hey what software do you use to "scribe" on these disks?

QUOTE (BigTy @ Mar 17 2006, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Glad to help Jito now when I ask about if you had a problem with a game there is no reason for me to get a "I don't know" answer. whistling.gif

Maling

I found that picture just for you, I really don't know any asian women. I know a few latin butt load of black whites. So if you see any for my groupie club send them my way smile.gif.

Ty the alter ego of Sean wink.gif.

#19 Phoenix

Phoenix

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 11:02 PM

@gypsylady

Try

http://www.lightscribe.com/

#20 shawn_nee

shawn_nee

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 12:29 AM

Never confuse SHAWN with sean. tongue.gif

One goes back to Welch spellings the other is Irish.

BigTy= sean

Shawn_nee= SHAWN tongue.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users