liteon plextor

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 2005

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 01:35 AM

Just looked up the LiteOn SHM-165H6S burner on newegg.com..... the retail one is 54$ so I think I've found the replacement to this trusty NEC ND 2510A!!!

Great find ineed, now I only wonder how well it handels DPM and EFM....

#22 gypsylady

gypsylady

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 01:37 AM

what is dvd ram?

and can you write on a cd with this scribe thingy?

#23 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 04:00 AM

Oops, I did get my names mixed up, didn't I. Meh bad.

@2005
Save the $5 and get the OEM version. The only thing you don't get is the fancy packaging, and maybe a blank disc or two. That's my opinion anyway. Got mine on order, and should get it Tuesday.

#24 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 08:19 AM

QUOTE (gypsylady)
what is dvd ram?
and can you write on a cd with this scribe thingy?

DVD-RAM is one of the various formats of DVD. This is relatively expensive and normally you do not need it. For your information, it is in addition to DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, etc.

Almost all desktops' DVD drives (not notebooks') are capable of recording CD discs. You could check the specifications of the drive to ensure.

#25 shawn_nee

shawn_nee

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 12:10 AM

For a bit better definition check here => HERE

#26 WyleCoyote

WyleCoyote

10% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 04:11 PM

QUOTE (BigTy @ Mar 15 2006, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am the ghoust of Christmas past. O wait a minute that isnt my part his year wink.gif.My vote.

Thanks for the heads-up. I've been looking for a good DVD burner for a while. I'm using a Plextor Premium for CD's and love it. I'm hoping to get an equally capable DVD burner. How is this one working out?

Does anyone have other DVD burner recommendations?

I plan to use it for DVD games and to do general system backups. Can someone recommend good media types and brands?

Thanks!

Edited by WyleCoyote, 05 April 2006 - 05:19 PM.

#27 ChiefNuts

ChiefNuts

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 173 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:56 PM

I just bought a NEC 3550A and a Pioneer 111D (DVD-RAM) Both nice drives, The NEC has a hard time writing CD+G layers, but the Pioneer has no problems. The Pioneer does slam shut a little harder than what i'm used to. The NEC writes to DVD fairly decently, most crap media I can write to will burn max at around 13-14X. I would consider this an Archival quality burns, but they are readable.

I've heard the Pioneer 111D writes really well at 16x (haven't tried it yet laugh.gif ) , and very low error rates. you can check some scans out at the forums at cdfreaks, but the Pioneer is the one i'm most impressed with, and I really bought it for the DVD-RAM feature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users