• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 11:57 AM

On my laptop I have Norton Internet Security 2005 installed- it came with it. The only way to enter the Alcohol forum and read the several topics is to disable it totaly. If it is enabled I can not read any topics. I tried disabling the following functions alone:
-Personal Firewall
-Intrusion Alert
-Privacy Control( this also blocks my hotmail account but at list mentions it in the logs)
-Parental Control
Not only the problem persists but also the logs have no report of blocking the forum's pages and why. blink.gif
Maybe somebody can tell me or ask them what is going on? please.gif

#2 shawn_nee

shawn_nee

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 01:00 PM

I have the norton 05 suite on a computer at home and have no issues looking at the forums. That is very interesting. What security setting do you have the system set to?

#3 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 01:06 PM

The default one which is medium. Do you have the latest updates? I updated about a week ago.

#4 shawn_nee

shawn_nee

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 01:36 PM

I should, I have it set to auto update. But I have noticed sometimes I go in manually to check for updates and it will have a few. I'll check at home what settings I have.

#5 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 11:05 PM

I am no expert in these, and I have never used Internet Security, but I should guess perhaps it would relate to the cookies/Java-block settings in Internet Security.

In order to read topics, you need to log in. In order to log in, the forum needs to use cookies...

Edited by MaLing, 25 April 2006 - 11:07 PM.

#6 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 11:43 AM

Norton Internet Security is set to allow cookies and it reports no cookies blocked. Yet this strange behavior with Alcohol isn't my only problem. I can't access my hotmail account even with the Norton Internet Security disabled. I don't know what is going on here... wacko.gif

#7 2005

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 12:24 PM

Im running NIS 06 on this new rig with no issues... also ran NIS 05 on my old HP from about 2 years ago to a month ago with no issues on this site and no real issues whatsoever.

#8 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:13 PM

Are you using Internet explorer? Have you tried another browser?

#9 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 11:48 AM

I am using Internet Explorer, I don't want to use another browser and I don't think that it would help. Anyway the problem with the Alcohol forum, no mater how strange it is, has a solution. What buffles me is the problem with my hotmail account. I tried different things, including the disabling of Norton Internet Security, but nothing helped and so I don't know its real reason. Tomorrow I'll try to login from an internet cafe, I hope that I'll find what is going on.

#10 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 10:21 PM

Good luck. smile.gif

#11 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 12:41 PM

From the internet cafe everything works allright. It seems that I'll have to visit one whenever I want to enter my hotmail account. Well, I won't go nuts because of it. huh.gif

#12 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 01:23 AM

Does that happen with other mail servers, e.g. Yahoo?

#13 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 10:22 AM

I can enter the hotmail site, what I can't enter is my account... One search on the net revealed that a lot of people have the same problem with me. I found one or two possible solutions that I'm going to try on Monday( now I am away from the place that I work because of the weekend and I didn't take my laptop with me.).

#14 Number99

Number99

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 181 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 12:20 PM

I´m using NIS 2005 and had similar problems as you´re having Charalambos. What I did was, open up NIS, under "Status & Settings", double-click "Personal Firewall", click "Network", and in there Add the adress to websites that you´re having problems logging on to.
This worked for me.

#15 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:29 AM

Thanks for the help but my problem persists even when the NIS firewall is disabled- I have to disable NIS alltogether in order to get around this. At least then I can do my work, I will be happy if I find a similar remedy for my hotmail account problem.

#16 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:38 PM

If there are a lot of people having the same situation, then it is probably NIS's problem. Hopefully Symantec will sort that out soon.

#17 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 11:00 AM

Well, I was reffering to my hotmail account which I doubt if it has to do with NIS at all. The strange thing is that I can access my account from an internet cafe but not from my laptop. In fact I succesfully login but then the error page and the message "Server was not found or DNS error" follows. Today I tried to change my password, I do changed it but I still have no access to my account. wacko.gif I'll check again to find if there is any problem with my account details.

#18 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 12:10 AM

Does this happen with all mail servers like Yahoo?

#19 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 10:13 AM

I don't know.

After having additional serious problems including network connection instability, difficulty in displaying certain web pages, disfunction of the Download Accelarator Plus program that Norton Antivirus had identified as adware, the craziest of all: total disfunction of NIS Live Update and inability to repair it with the "modify" option( it worked the first time but not the second and "fatal" one), redownload it or even open the page that I was guided to in order to redownload it blink.gif wacko.gif and, having became suspicious that NIS had destroyed my network connectivity in several ways including the hotmail account problem, I uninstalled and littered it( it would anyway expire at the middle of July) and formated my laptop HD. I'm going to set up my system again and this time I'll go with AVG free. After the countless torturus hours I have gone through this week I don't even want to hear the words "Norton" or "Symantec" again; I just hope that now that I got rid of NIS I won't have any more problems( I cross my fingers for this...).

#20 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 01:40 PM

Might want to look at NOD32 as well. There's a 30 day trial you can play with. I have it installed on both my systems and wouldn't trade it for anything. It's not free, but it's well worth it imnsho (in my not-so-humble opinion).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users