Confused...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Trial User_Trial User_Scott_*_*

Trial User_Trial User_Scott_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:45 PM

I just installed the trial version of Alcohol 120% this evening. I have two questions.

1) When I ran the first version of alcohol, it told me there was a new version. That was fast :-) So I upgraded to this, and it gave me a message about installing a SCSI passthru. I am using a 3Ware raid card that looks like a SCSI drive to Windows, even though it isn't. When I rebooted, right before the login screen appeared (with it's blue background) the screen turned blue, and the mouse cursor changed to a sand clock, or whatever you call it. I waited for 10 or 15 minutes, but it just stayed that way. So I reset the machine. This time it booted up, but it seems sluggish. Also, nero's infotool reports that the 'ASPI installation has been corrupted'. This obviously causes me some concern. Should I be worried?

2) I have a ton of macrovision protected discs I would like to backup (data CD's and DVD's). I don't want to run them from a virtual drive, and I don't want to buy another DVD burner. I understand the basics of how this form of copy protection works, but I don't know if it can be written to my drive. If this works, I can guarantee you a sale :-)

I've appended my system report, as requested. Thanks a lot.
Scott

System report removed by zamiel

#2 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 01:22 AM

1) Alcohol should not affect the boot time drastically like that, nor should it drastically affect the performance. What is your CPU usage idling at?

2) For the Macrovision CD, try using the SafeDisc 2/3 datatype. Some have reported that this datatype works well with Macrovision, though it may pay to mount it inthe virtual drive and test it. Alcohol at this point in time cannot write SafeDisc protected DVDs, but its being worked on.

#3 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,005 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 10:20 AM

If any of your DVDs have the CSS encryption then they can't be copied by Alcohol due to legal issues. In order to copy them with Alcohol you must decrypt them first with a suitable program like DVD Decrypter or AnyDVD.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users