Repairing a CD?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Trial User_Soulhunger_*

Trial User_Soulhunger_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:27 AM

{System report removed - Jito463}

Okay, here's my problem. I was trying to install Diablo II LoD, but I think the CD is scratched, and a file "D2xtalk.mpq" wasn't fully installing. It would stop partway each time I tried. I also tried copying the file directly from the CD into a folder, but it still stopped partway through. So I had a friend give me his D2xtalk.mpq.

Now I have the CD with the corrupted file on it, and what I want to do is make a new CD that's exactly the same as the one I have, but with this file replaced with the good one. I tried to replace it after copying the CD image onto my harddrive, but it won't let me write over anything. And I also tried putting the files onto a new CD manually, which didn't work, because it wasn't recognized as the original game CD.

Is there any way to use Alcohol 120% to copy the CD image, then replace the file, and make a new CD, without losing its ability to be recognized as the game CD?

#2 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 01:33 PM

You won't be able to make a working image/backup by simply compiling the files together. However, you should be able to copy those mpq files to the install directory and play from the backup with no problems.

#3 Trial User_Soulhunger_*

Trial User_Soulhunger_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:06 AM

Well, what I was trying to do was to make a working copy, with the bad file replaced.

I tried to just copy the files into the folder, as you said, but there are still several problems. When I try to run the game, I get this error

Assertion Failure
Expression : ptTextData->eType == D2WIN_TEXTBOX

I'm not sure what else I can do.

Thanks for the help, but I think I'll just get a new CD. They're only like $10.

BTW, alcohol is a great program, but it's just not what I need I guess.

#4 Tron

Tron

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 08:34 AM

Well once you buy a new copy of the CD you can use Alcohol to back it up so that it wont get scratched again...... Also Blizzard might replace the disc for you at a reduced price (although $10 is pretty cheap) if you contact them....

#5 Trial User_Guest_*

Trial User_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 04:31 PM

This worked for me

(Make Sure Diablo 2 is installed and patched)

1.)Install LOD Till' it stops at d2xtalk.mpq
2.)Push ctrl+alt+delete and close the setup. (DO NOT HIT CANCEL This will remove what you have installed)
3.)Copy all files from cd to diablo 2 directory (You only need the .mpq files really...

Now run the game... It should now be LOD expansion.

#6 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 04:41 PM

Don't think that will help much when he can't copy the files from the CD due to damage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users