• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Trial User_Trial User_alan_*_*

Trial User_Trial User_alan_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2007 - 02:44 PM

QUOTE (Trial User_alan_* @ May 1 2007, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Jito463 @ May 1 2007, 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Make sure you back up your files first. Restoring to factory settings will wipe everything from the computer and reset it to the way it was when you bought it.

the factory set up was a split drive c: which i think windows etc is in D: which i hope doesnt get wiped i think i can save stuff to and e: which is the recovery portion

well i got the disk to reboot back to factory settings and it wont read it got onto the tech support guys at medion and they got me to change some stuff in the bios and it still never worked they then left me with the advice to get a copy of xp and try that disk saying they think it might read that which makes no sense at all to me. so if something in my pc set up is so corrupt that i cant get my drive to work what alternatives do i have left in the old days on pc's gone by i would just type in format c: shove in a windows bootup floppy and reinstall window but i'm stuck with a pc with one drive that wont work or except my external dvd drive.

so a couple of questions if anyone can help i'd appreciate it can the problem only be on the harddrive or is are there some settings elsewhere that could have been effected motherboard etc like i said i'm not up on the finer points of how a pc works. if its something corrupted on the harddrive is there a solution ie replace it

would taking it to somewhere like pc world or a pc repair shop do anygood

the damn things only 9 months old and everythings working fine apart from the damn drive issue so i'm really looking for alternates to fixing this problem if anyone has any ideas and i dont much see the sense in paying out for a copy of xp for what sounds like a doubtfull fix to me any ideas appreciated thanks

#22 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 04:22 PM

So you've tried to Boot from CD instead of your Floppy or HD by changing the boot order in your bios to look at the cdrom first? Do you get any error messages?

#23 Trial User_Trial User_alan_*_*

• Guests

Posted 03 May 2007 - 04:43 PM

QUOTE (zamiel @ May 3 2007, 11:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So you've tried to Boot from CD instead of your Floppy or HD by changing the boot order in your bios to look at the cdrom first? Do you get any error messages?

no floppy drive on the pc just the one drive thats not working changed the boot order to start from cd but windows just fired up normaly

#24 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 06:02 PM

Did the CD drive attempt to start up?

Is there power getting to the unit (ie: light on when disc is inserted or can you hear the drive motor trying to read a disc)

Are there any lose cable connections? Perhaps the IDE or SATA connector is lose.

Did you get a message saying something along the lines the disc was not bootable?

The reason for asking this is to ascertain whether or not the restore disc is indeed bootable or the drive is playing up. Alcohol's SPTD driver loads with Windows so booting from a CD will negate this. Alcohol does not modify the bios, so if the disc is bootable (try testing it on another machine if possible) then...

#25 Trial User_Trial User_alan_*_*

• Guests

Posted 04 May 2007 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE (zamiel @ May 4 2007, 01:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did the CD drive attempt to start up?

Is there power getting to the unit (ie: light on when disc is inserted or can you hear the drive motor trying to read a disc)

Are there any lose cable connections? Perhaps the IDE or SATA connector is lose.

Did you get a message saying something along the lines the disc was not bootable?

The reason for asking this is to ascertain whether or not the restore disc is indeed bootable or the drive is playing up. Alcohol's SPTD driver loads with Windows so booting from a CD will negate this. Alcohol does not modify the bios, so if the disc is bootable (try testing it on another machine if possible) then...

some good news at last i have managed to get my external dvd working the one in the pc still isn't working but at least now i can get back to the facory settings and if it still dont work i guess the problem is with the drive itself and it just chose the moment i unistalled alcohol to stop working i'd like to thank you guys for your help and if it turns out to be a broken drive appologize for any inconvieniance i will let you know how it turns out

#26 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 02:09 AM

Good Luck smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users