My computer will no longer work.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 Trial User_Trial User_Elliot_*_*

Trial User_Trial User_Elliot_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2007 - 05:17 PM

I had a burned disc with an older version of Alcohol 120% on it, and I decided i was going to install it instead of waste bandwidth. The exact version is Alcohol v1.9.5 2802.

I ran the install, everything went smooth until Windows Vista asked me if I would like to install the drivers for the program. I accepted. My computer then rebooted. Every time I now log in to windows, I have about a minute before Windows restarts, while it attempts to install my Plug and Play BIOS drivers. I ran Start Up Recovery and it claimed my boot configuration was corrupt, attempted to do a partition table repair, but failed giving me the error 0x490. When I loaded my FastTrak 376 drivers, it had no error. I'm wondering whether I should just boot into command prompt and delete the Alcohol drivers from my system? Or do I need to fix my mbr via fixmbr, which i'm not even sure is in Vista? I'm thinking it's the first one but I don't want to screw my computer up more than what this program has already done to it. Please answer fast, I'm very upset and confused.

#2 Trial User_squall leonhart_*

Trial User_squall leonhart_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2007 - 05:49 PM

in all honesty, you can't blame anyone but yourself,

as a pc user, you should realise that the settings and drive files in such an old version are not compatible with vista.

anyway.

have you tried booting from a previously working configuration?

#3 Trial User_Trial User_Elliot_*_*

Trial User_Trial User_Elliot_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:00 PM

When I start up my computer and it asks me to boot into safe mode, windows, or last known good configuration? Yeah. It restarts.

#4 Trial User_squall leonhart_*

Trial User_squall leonhart_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:59 PM

load in save mode and skip loading the STPD.sys

#5 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:19 PM

Vista support was not added until version 1.9.6.4719.

You might be able to return to a previous restore point, failing that please boot in to Safe Mode and uninstall Alcohol and the SPTD Driver. You may need to download the stand alone installer/remover from http://www.duplexsecure.com should SPTD not uninstall successfully.

Once Alcohol is removed, please download the latest trial verion from our site and install that.

#6 Trial User_basjeF_*

Trial User_basjeF_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:03 AM

QUOTE (squall leonhart @ Jul 5 2007, 02:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
load in save mode and skip loading the STPD.sys

i have te same problem... how do i skip loading the stpd.sys? I do not have an option to choose it just loads the necessary drivers

#7 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 02:22 PM

You will need to boot up in Safe Mode by pressing F8 when Windows begins to load.

#8 Trial User_bfaassen_*

Trial User_bfaassen_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:25 AM

QUOTE (zamiel @ Jul 10 2007, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You will need to boot up in Safe Mode by pressing F8 when Windows begins to load.

Thanx but i know that... after pressing F8 i can choose for tree safe mode options. If i choose for the first (for example) than it just loads all the various drivers.. i`m not able to choose wich drivers to install it just loads all the drivers. In XP you had the option to say: this driver load, this driver not... is there a simmular function within Vista.
Thanx for your answer...

#9 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:22 AM

In Windows XP when you boot into Safe Mode you receive a message "Press ESC to cancel loading of sptd.sys". I don't know if it is the same in Vista, however this is the way that you prevent sptd.sys from loading in Windows XP, the only other way is to delete the file or disable the service through the registry or the recovery console.

#10 Trial User_chadalack_*

Trial User_chadalack_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE (Charalambos @ Jul 11 2007, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In Windows XP when you boot into Safe Mode you receive a message "Press ESC to cancel loading of sptd.sys". I don't know if it is the same in Vista, however this is the way that you prevent sptd.sys from loading in Windows XP, the only other way is to delete the file or disable the service through the registry or the recovery console.

how is this done ...

when i run it in win xp i boot in safe mode with command prompt but when it ask me to hit esc on sptd.sys i do it reboots .. how is it done to remove service console ill ge is a dos prompt .. thanks

#11 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:00 PM

You have to boot from your Windows XP disc, and choose Recovery Console. Though if it still reboots even if you skip loading SPTD, I doubt SPTD is the source of your problem.

#12 Trial User_madhen_*

Trial User_madhen_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE (zamiel @ Jul 5 2007, 02:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Vista support was not added until version 1.9.6.4719.

You might be able to return to a previous restore point, failing that please boot in to Safe Mode and uninstall Alcohol and the SPTD Driver. You may need to download the stand alone installer/remover from http://www.duplexsecure.com should SPTD not uninstall successfully.

Once Alcohol is removed, please download the latest trial verion from our site and install that.

I downloaded the Vista version off of your site and got the perpetual reboot, I don't think I'll be recommending this to my friends.

So, now I get to wait until Monday, when I can go to the office and get my Vista cd! Nice!

thanks for nothing.

#13 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:03 PM

You've given us nothing in your post to help trouble shoot your problem so therefore you'll get nothing in return support wise. There are many reasons why SPTD may fail to install on a system but without a little information there's not much point in us guessing what went wrong.

Topic closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users