• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DJX

DJX

10% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 07:50 PM

A native x64 build would be nice for us x64 OS users.
I know Alcohol supports x64 systems but it's using WOW (Windows on Windows), not true x64.

Now, I havn't tried the new Christmas release but I'm guessing it's just like the last release on this matter.

Please, consider my suggestion.

Any comments?

Edited by DJX, 27 December 2007 - 07:52 PM.

#2 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 06:20 AM

I can certainly understand, as an x64 user myself since XP x64 RC2. However, not every program will gain a boost from a native 64-bit version. And this way, they can still maintain a single release, instead of offering dual 32-bit and 64-bit builds. Less confusion to the customers. I see complaints over at DT forum all the time where people download the wrong version without realizing it, and they have to have explained to them what the difference is.

#3 DJX

DJX

10% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 11:21 AM

You make a valid point. Truly something to think about as well.

I can also see that not all programs will gain a boost from x64 but that's not the only reason I was asking for a native x64 build.
I know that one day x64 will be the standard and if I have x64 today, I like to run as many x64 programs.

Thanks for listening.

#4 oglsmm

oglsmm

10% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 09:05 PM

A native x64 version would be nice instead of WOW. I'm surprised so few apps/games/etc are making native x64 software.

As said it is going to be the future. (Needed to use all my ram lol).

#5 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 10:32 PM

Companies are hesitant to change unless necessary. Most will make changes for improvement reasons, or to fix bugs, but change for changes sake is rare, if ever seen at all. Since 32-bit applications work, and there's not likely to be any improvement in performance, they'd rather spend their resources focusing on other improvements. Look at when Windows XP x64 first came out 2 years ago. Some software wouldn't work because they were still using 16-bit installers. In a day when everything was 32-bit, they were still clinging to the past with an ancient installer program (not Alcohol, just some other programs in general). Eventually, everything will be 64-bit, but by that time, we'll probably be moving to 128-bit. smile.gif

I'm sure that eventually there will be a native x64 version of Alcohol, but when is the unknown factor. Even if the devs said today that they were working on it, due to other factors (primarily copy protection blacklists), it still may take months to finally make it to release. But I'm with you, and looking for the day when everything switches to x64. biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users