11 replies to this topic

#1 Unseen Ghost

Unseen Ghost

10% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:39 AM

Hi,

I would like to see the ability to hide emulation software in Alcohol 120%. Some protections out there detect it. I like to play my games from of my backup copies so the original doesn't get scratched up. I don't have a very big hard drive to be storing all the images I create to play from the images. Not only do you have the images taking up space, but you also have to install the game and that takes up a lot of space too.

Anyway, back to what I was talking about. When I start some games from my backups it says Emulation software detected. Every time I try other software that is suppose to emulate protections or hide the emulation software it doesn't work.

If hiding emulation software is only for when you play from images, I guess I'm out of luck because I don't have a big hard drive to save images on.

#2 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:36 AM

Software like YASU cloacks the SCSI virtual drives from the protection, the IDE drives have no problem( except for Starforce of course). If you try to play with a backup and you get the "emulation software detected" message first of all you must disable all the emulation options- you don't need them as far as your backup is good. If the problem persists then you may have to wait untill the release of the next version, usually every new version has workarounds for the latest blacklistings. You can also try YASU in case the message has to do with the detection of the virtual drives from the protection. The copy protection may also detect other emulation software( Daemon tools, Blindread/blindwrite e.t.c.), which must be taken into the overal account.

#3 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:47 AM

Well, playing from images and physical backup discs are a bit different.

When play from images, emulations are automatically applied; when play from physical backup discs, emulations are neccessarily manually applied.

There are some options in Alcohol, like 'Ignore Media Type', 'RPMS' etc, for different situations.

What is your game and the protection on it? Do you have other emulation programmes like CloneCD, Daemon Tools, etc in your computer?

#4 Unseen Ghost

Unseen Ghost

10% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 07:23 PM

The game is on dvd called Maelstrom. Its not a double layer disk. The protection is SecuROM 7.something. I scaned the disk with Aray Scanner and Protection ID 6.0 and they both said no protection. Then I installed the game from the original and scaned the directory with both scanners again. They both came up with SecuROM 7, but Protection ID came up with a newer version of it.

Edited by Unseen Ghost, 06 February 2008 - 07:24 PM.

#5 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 06:41 AM

It is necessary to scan the installation directory for finding out SecuRom disc's protection.

You may try to make an image with DPM obtained by maximum speed, then burn the image with RPMS.

When playing from the backup disc, you need to switch on the 'RPMS emulation', and if the backup disc is not in a ROM drive, then you need to switch on the 'Ignore Media Type' emulation too.

#6 Terramex

Terramex

100% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 283 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE (MaLing @ Feb 7 2008, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...and if the backup disc is not in a ROM drive, then you need to switch on the 'Ignore Media Type' emulation too.
'Ignore Media Type' is included in RMPS emulation. No need to additionally check 'Ignore Media Type'.

#7 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 09:37 AM

They both came up with SecuROM 7, but Protection ID came up with a newer version of it.

A-Ray Scanner is just outdated, use Protection ID instead.

#8 Unseen Ghost

Unseen Ghost

10% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE (MaLing @ Feb 7 2008, 08:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is necessary to scan the installation directory for finding out SecuRom disc's protection.

Actually I have been able to find SecuRom protections without installing games before a number of times. So far just twice have I had to install games to find it.

Thanks everyone, I will give things a try and get back with you to let you know.

Edited by Unseen Ghost, 07 February 2008 - 07:40 PM.

#9 ChiefNuts

ChiefNuts

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 173 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE (Unseen Ghost @ Feb 7 2008, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (MaLing @ Feb 7 2008, 08:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually I have been able to find SecuRom protections without installing games before a number of times. So far just twice have I had to install games to find it.

Thanks everyone, I will give things a try and get back with you to let you know.

Your right, some older versions of Securom could be detected from the disc, but the newer ones hide themselves a little better now...

#10 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:43 PM

QUOTE (Terramex @ Feb 7 2008, 11:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
'Ignore Media Type' is included in RMPS emulation. No need to additionally check 'Ignore Media Type'.

Terramex, I have just done a small test: Burnt an SecuRom image to an RW disc, and it was as what you said: There was no need to switch on the 'Ignore Media Type' emulation once 'RMPS' was on.

Thanks for the information. smile.gif

By the way, I am not sure why I always say 'RPMS' instead of 'RMPS'. blush.gif

#11 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:55 PM

A lot of people don't understand RMPS, but I'm sure that most guys know all about RPMS. wink.gif

#12 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:41 PM

Let me pray that from now on there will not be any confusion among all names in my mind. unsure.gif

Edited by MaLing, 14 February 2008 - 09:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users