• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Raynman

Raynman

1% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:20 PM

I just received an email telling me you want money again for new software updates
or better still double the money for lifetime updates.
I do not have a problem with this, however I need more than
just a passing comment, telling me I will like the new plans and ideas forthcoming.
As I have asked in the past year what are you doing about these two file extensions ?
are they going to be included with the next updates or not. Why is it when some new company comes along
with a new file extension we have to download their trial versions to make everything work.
It seems you have had ample time to close out your competition and include these file formats or at least .uif
and still no progress. This is a big deal for all of us who have invested in Alcohol 120 and it would be nice
to see where your going with this.
Thankyou

#2 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:32 PM

You do realize that Alcohol can't simply add support for any file format they want. The owner of the file format has to grant rights to the format. Besides, I've never come across a UIF or DAA file. Where are these coming from?

#3 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:54 PM

Magic ISO Universal Image Format File (MagicISO Inc.)
PowerISO Direct Access Archive (PowerISO Computing Inc.)

Please note that suggestions for future development may or may not be included in future releases. All you can do is to suggest them, sorry, but there is no guarantee that they will be included. Those decisions are made further up the chain.

Even though you may have requested these additional formats be added a while back, I don't believe that anyone said they ever would be (I could be wrong)? There have been other features added to Alcohol recently that had a much higher priority, such as the pre-mastering ability, which will be enhanced over a period of time.

With regards to purchasing an additional year of subscription to the upgrades, this is optional. You do not have to purchase this, however you would be then limited to the version that is currently available at the time of the expiration of your subscription.

#4 Raynman

Raynman

1% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:51 AM

QUOTE (Jito463 @ Feb 22 2008, 03:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You do realize that Alcohol can't simply add support for any file format they want. The owner of the file format has to grant rights to the format. Besides, I've never come across a UIF or DAA file. Where are these coming from?

Yes, I do realize one cannot do this without permission. And yes again, to the owner ganting rights.
Which as you probably realize all comes down to money and can be done with a little cooperation.
I,m sure you know how long WinZip procrastinated against adding *.RAR to being "read only",
7 years to be exact. Which is why winzip ended up going from a leader to the bottom of the pack.
The all time number one issue on their forum was, when are you going to add *.rar and I do know you are aware of WinRAR
You keep asking where, why,what, is *.uif and I do know that you also repeat this on the Daemon Tool forums guite often, ie: 1400 posts
Whenever I open the forums at Daemon Tools I see UIF repeatedly requested for. You always allude to Warez for this format
and this is not the case. MagicISO must like that.
I know many legit companies who have compressed their files to the UIF format.

Thankyou

#5 Raynman

Raynman

1% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:06 AM

QUOTE (zamiel @ Feb 22 2008, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Magic ISO Universal Image Format File (MagicISO Inc.)
PowerISO Direct Access Archive (PowerISO Computing Inc.)

Please note that suggestions for future development may or may not be included in future releases. All you can do is to suggest them, sorry, but there is no guarantee that they will be included. Those decisions are made further up the chain.

Even though you may have requested these additional formats be added a while back, I don't believe that anyone said they ever would be (I could be wrong)? There have been other features added to Alcohol recently that had a much higher priority, such as the pre-mastering ability, which will be enhanced over a period of time.

With regards to purchasing an additional year of subscription to the upgrades, this is optional. You do not have to purchase this, however you would be then limited to the version that is currently available at the time of the expiration of your subscription.

Thankyou for your comments. Of course you are right...I do have the opton of upgrading etc, what I was really trying to get off my chest
was " Alcohol " could have told me/us what some of these plans and ideas might be. Perhaps not specific but at least a general direction
so then I could weigh the cost of upgrading or moving on.

Thankyou

#6 Phoenix

Phoenix

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 02:25 PM

We used to inform customers on what we we working on and guess what another software would pop up with exactly the same or similar hence we no longer post what we are working on.

I am sure that todays update will have given a huge number of our users something they have been asking for.

When you purchase a software you should purchase it because it suits your needs at the time you purchased it, and not on the hope that at some stage it would support an option that you would like.

As has been stated, getting permission to support diferent file formats is not cut and dried and its not just a case of money, far from it i can assure you.

However do not take this to read that these formats will never be supported. Your comments have been noted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users