• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fenixrisingxl21

fenixrisingxl21

1% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:52 PM

Hello, all. I'm currently trying to backup my copy of the Battle for Middle-Earth Anthology. I've been able to successfully make a backup image of each of the subject games that will install from my external drive when mounted, but get the 'Please Insert Correct CD' message when I go to play.
Is there any way to make a 1:1 image that will allow me to play the game after installation, or will I need to enable some type of emulation to get the images to work?
PID can't seem to detect what protection the game is using, but from what I've been able to dig up, the games use SafeDisc v4.6. Is it possible the games were wrapped in a different protection scheme when re-pressed as the Battle for Middle-Earth Anthology. Not sure how logical that sounds, but figured I'd throw it out there.
I've tried to attach my System Info below (hopefully it's the right format).
Any assitance would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your time.

{System Report removed - Jito463}

#2 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:26 AM

Try scanning the installation directory for the game with PID to find out the copy protection used. Sometimes it can only be detected after installation.

#3 fenixrisingxl21

fenixrisingxl21

1% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:38 AM

QUOTE (Jito463 @ Aug 30 2008, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Try scanning the installation directory for the game with PID to find out the copy protection used. Sometimes it can only be detected after installation.

Thanks for the reply. Here's what PID kicked back:

Scanning -> D:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Battle for Middle-earth ™ II\game.dat
File Type : Exe, Size : 12277672 (0BB57A8h) Byte(s)
-> File Appears to be Digitally Signed @ Offset 0BB4198h, size : 01610h / 05648 byte(s)
-> File has 1209240 (0127398h) bytes of appended data starting at offset 0A8E410h
[!] Safedisc v3.20 - v4.xx or newer [removed version] detected !
[i] removed version is Safedisc v4.60.000
[!] Possible CD/DVD-Key or Serial Check -> cdkey
[!] File appears to have no protection or is using an unknown protection
- Scan Took : 1.937 Seconds

Any ideas?
Thank you for your time.

#4 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 07:43 AM

Is the disc a DVD or CD? If it's a CD, you may be able to make a working standalone copy, depending on your burner, using the Safedisc (2/3/4) (EFM*Writer) profile. If it's a DVD, then you will only be able to make a working backup using RMPS, which requires RMPS emulation from Alcohol. Alternatively, you should be able to make a working image you can play from the HDD.

#5 fenixrisingxl21

fenixrisingxl21

1% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE (Jito463 @ Aug 31 2008, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is the disc a DVD or CD? If it's a CD, you may be able to make a working standalone copy, depending on your burner, using the Safedisc (2/3/4) (EFM*Writer) profile. If it's a DVD, then you will only be able to make a working backup using RMPS, which requires RMPS emulation from Alcohol. Alternatively, you should be able to make a working image you can play from the HDD.

Thanks for the reply.
My desktop was only able to get to 10% of the DPM measurement, but my laptop was able to get the entire DPM measurement and subsequent image. Unfortunately, I'm still getting the 'Insert Correct Disc' message (with and without emulation turned on), which pretty much tells me at this point that a 1:1 copy is not possible at this time. I'm assuming as Alcohol is updated, it will be able to do so.
I've tried updating the Devsupp file, as well as the SPTD update, but to no avail.
I'll try CNC3 and Kane's Wrath when I get home just see if it's possible, which I doubt, as I'm sure they're using similar protection schemes.
If anyone has successfully made a 1:1 copy of subject titles, please let me know. Otherwise, I can just wait for the next Alcohol update.
Jito, thanks for all your assistance just the same.

#6 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,005 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:37 AM

Safedisk and its relevant RMPS data has nothing to do with DPM. Please make the image again using the "Safedisk 2/3/4" or the "Safedisk 2/3/4 EFM Writer" datatypes preferably at a slow speed. If the image is working then, as Jito says, you can stay and play with it or, if you want, make a backup copy either with the "Safedisk 2/3/4 EFM Writer" datatype( no need for emulation but difficult and hardware dependant to make a working copy) or the "Safedisk 2/3/4" datatype( in this case you must burn the disk with the RMPS data and use the Alcohol's RMPS emulation in order to play with it). If the disk is a DVD you have only the second option. I'll say it again: Safedisk has nothing to do with DPM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users