Photo

Safedisc and Safedisc 2/3/4(EFM* Writer)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 konvict

konvict

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:55 PM

My friend sent me an ISO image and told me to burn it using SafeDisc 2/3 settings in Alcohol 120%.

I have a PX-716A burner which I believe supports EFM. When I go to burn the image, on the drop down menu I have 3 options for safedisc

When i pick Safedisc 2/3/4 it says no RMPS info in the source, I click OK and still can burn.
the other 2 options Safedisc and Safedisc 2/3/4(EFM* Writer) don't give any error and allow to burn as well.

So I am wondering, which option am i suppose to use?

#2 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 03:21 PM

I have moved this to the technical forum as it is a technical based question, therefore you will need to read this: http://forum.alcohol...showtopic=23848

What is this an image of?

#3 konvict

konvict

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE (zamiel @ Nov 14 2008, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What is this an image of?

The image is of a Mercedes benz audio 30 APS Navigation CD.

#4 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 04:47 PM

I'm going to have to make a judgement call on this one and say that I don't believe we can provide assistance in this matter. The Navigation CD is a commercial product and therefore legality questions arise when you get the image off a friend.

If you have missplaced or damaged your own copy of the CD then may I suggest you contact the distributor for a replacement rather than getting a copy off a friend. Experience indicates that quite often these discs have a proprietary copy protection on them that can provde difficult to backup.

#5 konvict

konvict

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 04:57 PM

QUOTE (zamiel @ Nov 14 2008, 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm going to have to make a judgement call on this one and say that I don't believe we can provide assistance in this matter. The Navigation CD is a commercial product and therefore legality questions arise when you get the image off a friend.

If you have missplaced or damaged your own copy of the CD then may I suggest you contact the distributor for a replacement rather than getting a copy off a friend. Experience indicates that quite often these discs have a proprietary copy protection on them that can provde difficult to backup.

OK this kinda defeats the purpose of your support, It should not matter what I am trying to copy, if you were all worried about legality issues then such features should not part of the software period.

I actually have the software loaded on my car, except disc 1 that I have is damaged ( came with car like that), I never had the need for it since it contains countries that I never visited, but since I will be making a trip soon to one of those countries I thought it would come in handy. When i contacted Mercedes benz of Portugal on the matter, they stated that i would have to buy the whole package ( 5 cds ) at 200 euros. I even took the damaged CD to them as proof and requested it to have it replaced, they said they can't sell just a single CD. This is when i asked my friend in UK to send me a copy of his...

So I don't think I am committing any crime here, and am simply asking which features i should be using to burn the image. My friend says that on his software it only shows safedisc 2/3, the trial I downloaded shows 3 different options

#6 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 05:29 PM

Alcohol is not designed for the unauthorised duplication of software. Alcohol's purpose is to allow you to back up your own software, not your friends or from any other source, regardless if you have at some stage owned a copy of it to.

I'm sorry, but I believe, unless over-ruled, that we still have to abstain from providing support in this case, even though you feel you have committed no crime, Mercedes might argue otherwise as this is how they make money. It's a pity they don't have a replacement policy, but until instructed otherwise.... sad.gif

Feel free to try some settings yourself, however as indicated earlier, many Nav CDs contain proprietary copy protection and have proven very difficult to backup. How the image was made and the hardware used to make it is often vitally important.

#7 konvict

konvict

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 05:35 PM

QUOTE (zamiel @ Nov 15 2008, 12:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alcohol is not designed for the unauthorised duplication of software. Alcohol's purpose is to allow you to back up your own software, not your friends or from any other source, regardless if you have at some stage owned a copy of it to.

I'm sorry, but I believe, unless over-ruled, that we still have to abstain from providing support in this case, even though you feel you have committed no crime, Mercedes might argue otherwise as this is how they make money. It's a pity they don't have a replacement policy, but until instructed otherwise.... sad.gif

Feel free to try some settings yourself, however as indicated earlier, many Nav CDs contain proprietary copy protection and have proven very difficult to backup. How the image was made and the hardware used to make it is often vitally important.

No problem, thanx for the help none the less.

Cheers

#8 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 05:37 PM

Sorry we could not be of more assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users