7 replies to this topic

#1 Zocor

Zocor

Dutch Translator

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:55 PM

I had it many times in NT, XP and Vista that after installing Nero and / or other copy progams the Alcohol Shell extention icons get blanked out or replaced by (say) Nero. Even un-installing Nero and re-installing Alcohol wil not bring the Shell extention icons bak in front of Alcohol supported image files. Maybe its an idea to make the Shell extention option a brute force replacing supported image files icons.

#2 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:24 AM

Do you check the option "replace the icons with those of Alcohol"?

#3 Zocor

Zocor

Dutch Translator

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:23 PM

Yes i did, and for that matter there's nothing that i did not try, i never got it to work.
tnx for your suggestion. wink.gif

Edited by Zocor, 26 February 2009 - 04:25 PM.

#4 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:10 AM

Well, I never had this problem myself so I don't know what to say. What Nero version you have? I have Nero Express 6 with no problems of this kind but I don't know what happens with the newer versions. It would also be helpfull to list the other similar programs that you have and even more helpfull if you can uninstall all of them, install Alcohol, check if the icons are displayed alright and reinstall them one by one in order to find which one causes the problem.

#5 Zocor

Zocor

Dutch Translator

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:10 PM

I use Nero 9 (just the burn ingine), img burn in combination whit Ultra ISO, and Alcohol. I have this problem for ages and never got it to work. Yes it worked ones when i first installed Alcohol but after installing Nero the Alcohol icons dissapeared and never came back. Un-installing Nero and running the Nero gleanup tool, un-installing img burn and finaly un-installing Alcohol and re-insalling it after a restart nothing helped. I give up after about a few weeks of trying and experimenting. I had the same problem in XP and now using Vista Ultimate x64 but nothing helps the problem keeps coming back all Alcohol compatible files have a mini icon in front that looks like an empty page.

I don't mind really, but it would be nice to have some way to force the icons to appear like in the windows Shell32.dll so one can pick its own Alcohol icons.

This is how the linked Alcohol shell extentions appear in windows explorer tough all extentions are activated in Alcohol.

Edited by Zocor, 27 February 2009 - 05:15 PM.

#6 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:48 AM

Well, I'm out of thoughts. This seems to be of the problems that occure in a certain system and are never solved. An other guy who had an equally strange problem ended up with a defective motherboard: http://forum.alcohol...showtopic=29328 In these cases only God knows what is going on...

#7 Zocor

Zocor

Dutch Translator

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:22 PM

Yep Charalambos i know and i am a first minute user of Alcohol (2002), this is not the only never solved problem. I have one that is even more strange. And i have been discussing it in the beginning whit phoenix and other support guys but nobody ever had an answer and its still here, that is that Alcohol does not appeare in the windows "uninstall programs" window and in the register the Alcohol entry misses the first line where the version number is supposed to be. But it was never solved but Alcohol works just fine.

It certainly is not the system, i had it on three differend (completely new) systems since 2002, it's not the OS i started whit Windows 98, NT, then Windows XP and now i use Vista Ultimate and the problem still exists. The only thing i can think of is the lanuage version of my operating systems, these where always Dutch. But it doesn't matter i give up on these problems years ago lol. I was into programming myself for years and know of the ghost bugs that sometimes appeare and if you're lucky you solve it one day and on the otherhand you may never be able to find it.

Thats a coders live, i was in it for 35 years. wink.gif

#8 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:27 AM

that is that Alcohol does not appeare in the windows "uninstall programs"

In fact in the later versions of Alcohol this happens deliberately due to blacklisting issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users