16 replies to this topic

#1 lyster

lyster

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:30 PM

I was running Alcohol 52% Free quite contentedly under Vista Ultimate (64 bit). Upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit), mounting the Microsoft-provided .iso file with my virtual drive. Everything installed well - except I've lost Alcohol 52%. I've tried installing the same edition again, and I've tired installing the full trial version of the same product. When the machine reboots it fails to load the Alcohol drivers - no virtual drives. I've done this more times than I would like to admit - always the same result.

I also tried installing Alcohol 52% on my Windows Home Server machine. It just wouldn't install at all - and gave me no error messages.

#2 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:02 PM

Please post a system report from the version of Alcohl you have installed as per:

http://forum.alcohol...showtopic=23848

Thanks.

#3 lyster

lyster

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE (zamiel @ Aug 24 2009, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please post a system report from the version of Alcohol you have installed ....

Will do (when I return home where both of these machines are located). Alcohol wouldn't install at all on the Windows Home Server machine, so I doubt that I'll be able to generate a System Report for that one. (And your instructions do say a System Report is not required when the problem is related to Installing Alcohol.)
Thank you for your help.

#4 lyster

lyster

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:55 PM

########################### System Information ###########################
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Edition 6.1 (Build 7600)
Processor info: Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz x 4 (2663MHz)
Memory Available to Windows: 8,386,744 KB

############################ Program Information ###########################
File Name: C:\Program Files (x86)\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 52\Alcohol.exe
Company Name: Alcohol Soft Development Team
Description: Alcohol 52%
Original: Alcohol.exe
Product: Alcohol52%
Trademarks: Alcohol Soft Development Team
Copyright: Copyright© 2002-2009 Alcohol Soft Development Team
Version: 1.9.8 ( Build 7612 )
Date: 2009/08/07
Size: 1654936 Bytes
Hash: 702fb8f4290152dc88d02d334c131a0c
File Name: C:\Program Files (x86)\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 52\alcoholx.dll
Company Name: Alcohol Soft Development Team
Description: Alcohol virtual device control library
Original: alcoholx.dll
Product: Alcohol
Copyright: Copyright © 2000-2009
Version: 4.30.0 ( Build 0 )
Date: 2009/04/07

#5 lyster

lyster

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:08 PM

I also ran the Windows 7 System Diagnostics Report, which provided this error:
Symptom: Device is not present, not working properly, or does not have all of its drivers installed.
Cause: A device has a configuration problem that prevents it from working properly.
Details: The device, sptd, is reporting "tv_ConfigMgrErr24". This device will not be available until the issue is resolved. The Plug and Play ID for this device is ROOT\LEGACY_SPTD\0000.

#6 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 03:00 PM

Your problem isn't that you can't install Alcohol but that it doesn't work properly. Please post a full unedited system report.

#7 lyster

lyster

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 03:42 PM

QUOTE (Charalambos @ Aug 26 2009, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your problem isn't that you can't install Alcohol but that it doesn't work properly. Please post a full unedited system report.

Two different machines - two different problems. One - Windows 7 - the system report was given earlier in this thread. The other - Windows Home Server - Alcohol will not install at all.

#8 lyster

lyster

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:04 PM

QUOTE (lyster @ Aug 26 2009, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Charalambos @ Aug 26 2009, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Two different machines - two different problems. One - Windows 7 - the system report was given earlier in this thread. The other - Windows Home Server - Alcohol will not install at all.

I sure hope I don't confuse you, but I've now got a problem with Alcohol on a third machine. This one was working fine (as was the other machine which I upgraded to Windows 7) until I upgraded to Windows 7. Now thast I've upgraded this machine's OS from Vista Business to Windows 7 Professional, Alcohol's drivers will not load. Here's the system report for that machine:

#9 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:11 PM

When you say upgraded, do you mean you reformatted and installed the new OS version or did you upgrade from one within the other?

Also, please note the licensing requirements for the Free Version of Alcohol. This version of Alcohol 52% is for private, non-commercial, single home computer use only. If you require this on more that one home computer you may need to look at licenses, I can find this out for you.

#10 lyster

lyster

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE (zamiel @ Aug 27 2009, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When you say upgraded, do you mean you reformatted and installed the new OS version or did you upgrade from one within the other?

Also, please note the licensing requirements for the Free Version of Alcohol. This version of Alcohol 52% is for private, non-commercial, single home computer use only. If you require this on more that one home computer you may need to look at licenses, I can find this out for you.

Right now it's working on ZERO machines. One machine is my wife's. Another is mine. We have a Windows Home Server and I was hoping to use that instead of these two client machines. I would be more than happy to purchase the full version of Alcohol - if and when it works.

When installing Windows 7, you are offered the option of "upgrading" - thereby keeping all programs and settings from the old installation. With the sole exception of Alcohol, this worked perfectly. I just replaced my hard disk, and Vista was running well, so I felt no need to reformat everything and start over (probably a week-long process to get things where they are now).

Edited by lyster, 27 August 2009 - 08:32 PM.

#11 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 02:42 PM

Please uninstall Alcohol and SPTD (with its standalone installer/uninstaller from www.duplexsecure.com) and install them again after rebooting. As for the Windows Home Server, it is not officially suported by Alcohol yet (maybe the next version will support it?).

#12 lyster

lyster

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:03 AM

QUOTE (Charalambos @ Aug 30 2009, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please uninstall Alcohol and SPTD (with its standalone installer/uninstaller from www.duplexsecure.com) and install them again after rebooting. As for the Windows Home Server, it is not officially suported by Alcohol yet (maybe the next version will support it?).

I assume the standalone installer/uninstaller is contained within the installation program itself, correct? Otherwise, I don't see a specific uninstaller on that website. Windows Contol Panel does not show Alcohol as an installed program. The Duplex Secure installer (obtained from the Duplex Secure website) likewise shows "No SPTD version was detected," even after trying to install it (after a reboot).

#13 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 02:08 PM

I assume the standalone installer/uninstaller is contained within the installation program itself, correct? Otherwise, I don't see a specific uninstaller on that website. Windows Contol Panel does not show Alcohol as an installed program. The Duplex Secure installer (obtained from the Duplex Secure website) likewise shows "No SPTD version was detected," even after trying to install it (after a reboot).

1.Alcohol's installation package contains SPTD but doesn't uninstall it when Alcohol is uninstalled because it may be used by other applications (like Daemon Tools).
2.The installer/uninstaller I was reffering to is that of Duplex Secure.
3.In the registry look for the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sptd. If it exists then change the "Start" value from 0 to 4 (that stops the running of the service), reboot and delete it (you may have to change permissions for the "cfg" subkey in order to do it). Also delete the sptd.sys from the Drivers' folder if it exists. Then try again to install SPTD with the Duplex Secure's installation package and reboot. Run the installer again and if it detects SPTD go on installing Alcohol. If it doesn't detect SPTD then there is really a problem. You should of course try to install the latest version of SPTD (1.60).

#14 lyster

lyster

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:17 PM

That worked! Thank you. One correction, however. You must have a key named HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sptd or the Duplex Secure's installation package will not work - says it cannot open the key. So, after deleting the key I just added another default key by the same name.

#15 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:18 AM

You don't have to do it manually, SPTD installation will do it. But deleting the existing key since it is problematic is necessary. Anyway it is good that you solved your problem. smile.gif

Oh, I see, SPTD is looking for the key anyway. That's strange, was the key really deleted? Otherwise it can be a bug of SPTD in Windows 7. Yet, did SPTD give that error message when first installing it or Alcohol (when the key wasn't there yet)?

Edited by Charalambos, 01 September 2009 - 12:22 AM.

#16 lyster

lyster

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:07 AM

QUOTE (Charalambos @ Aug 31 2009, 11:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You don't have to do it manually, SPTD installation will do it. But deleting the existing key since it is problematic is necessary. Anyway it is good that you solved your problem. smile.gif

Oh, I see, SPTD is looking for the key anyway. That's strange, was the key really deleted? Otherwise it can be a bug of SPTD in Windows 7. Yet, did SPTD give that error message when first installing it or Alcohol (when the key wasn't there yet)?

I deleted the key entirely. The Duplex Secure installer said it couldn't find the key and failed to install. I tried this three times with the same result. I went back to regedit and saw there was no key (not surpirsed because I had deleted it). I just added a key sptd (default values) and then the Duplex Secure installer had no difficulty.

#17 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:25 AM

Well, it sounds like an SPTD bug. You can post about it in the Duplex Secure's forum if you want to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users