25 replies to this topic

#1 gatzbar

gatzbar

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 07:38 AM

I installed the trial version 1.4.2.308 on my Win 2K system and had no trouble with the install. When I started the app I got a blue screen and a very cryptic error message -- some type of fatal handler error. The system then rebooted itself and went all the way around and back to the blue screen again. It just keeps looping untill I manually stop it.

I then started in safe mode and tried to uninstall but I get an installer error. I figure - maybe I need to install the new win installer that I got from the link to microsoft. Well -- that didn't work -- I get another error -- can't install from safe mode. Yes -- Nero and In-CD are installed but I can't uninstall them either -- same error.

I'm screwed and I'm gettin pissed off. Thanks to this trial version I'll probably have to strip the drive (80 gig) and reinstall everything. What an incredible waste of time! After finding my way to this forum on my other system I notice that there are "a lot" of posts concerning problems with this program. If I can get it off my drive I'll never want to have anything to do with it again -------- EVER. It's been a long time since I've seen something this buggy. Do people actually pay for this?

#2 ZombieKIL

ZombieKIL

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 221 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 08:35 AM

Don't blame Alcohol!! blame what ever else you had installed..
Example: Easy CD Creator - Including DirectCD = total useless piece of junk software; Same with InCD from Nero

What is the use of packet writing software? its faster to bring up Nero Burning Rom and burn the files you want on it.

3 Computers all running Alcohol very well all have Windows 2000 Pro/Server

Have fun!!

#3 tenndevil

tenndevil

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 159 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 09:19 AM

Don't blame Alcohol!! blame what ever else you had installed

Why not if it was working fine before he installed it, and then after alcohol was installed he got his blue screen, why can't he? It does happen.....

Example: Easy CD Creator - Including DirectCD = total useless piece of junk software; Same with InCD from Nero
maybe to you they are but you will find other that highly disagree, I use directcd and have never had any problem with it, my wife takes alot of photo's and loves the new drag to disc.

It would have been better if you put the error in your post, but since you didn't it would be a shot in the dark, have you tried using the repair console? try a registry scan from the repair console first.

Edited by tenndevil, 10 April 2003 - 09:23 AM.

#4 Phoenix

Phoenix

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 11:16 AM

gatzbar

You don't say where you downloaded the version you are using from??? if it was not from our main download and sales site then there is a big risk that it was corrupt in some way,

We will be releasing a new version today, i suggest you re start your PC on safe mode and remove all Alcohol entrys in your "reg" Then download and the newest version from our download site at www.alcohol-software.com and re install... this should then solve your problem.

#5 SlimShady

SlimShady

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 108 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 11:21 AM

First he has to repair his comp...
Use the Recovery Console...

offtopic...
Is there a changelog or features list available?

#6 Phoenix

Phoenix

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 12:47 PM

offtopic...

Always smile.gif

http://forum.alcohol...=ST&f=10&t=3255

#7 Lazer

Lazer

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 10:40 PM

QUOTE (SlimShady @ Apr 10 2003, 11:01 AM)
First he has to repair his comp...
Use the Recovery Console...

offtopic...

...and how EXACTLY does one 'repair' the computer using the recovery console?

Reason I ask is, that I recently did a motherboard / CPU upgrade, and my dual-boot Win XP/98 refused to boot into XP at all leaving me two options.

One: try and 'repair' by re-installing! (CD option; not exactly very helpful!)

Two: use the recovery console.

Having subsequently looked on the MS web site about the recovery console info, it seems you have to be an 'expert user' and versed in CLI commands.

Pretty unrealistic really don't you think?

(BTW, Win 98 booted fine, and after an Intel chipset .inf update, worked as previously).

Lazer.

Edited by Lazer, 10 April 2003 - 10:47 PM.

#8 Lvsitano

Lvsitano

Portuguese Translator

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 11:08 PM

This forum is for Alcohol 120% based questions only. We don't provide support for Microsoft products. Please contact the MS support and they can provide you the needed support.

#9 Lazer

Lazer

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE (Lvsitano @ Apr 10 2003, 10:48 PM)
This forum is for Alcohol 120% based questions only. We don't provide support for Microsoft products. Please contact the MS support and they can provide you the needed support.

So if Alcohol screws up your OS, (as the original poster said) you have to ask MS for the solution?!

LOL

Some 'support'!

Lazer.

#10 Lvsitano

Lvsitano

Portuguese Translator

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 11:39 PM

So if Alcohol screws up your OS, (as the original poster said) you have to ask MS for the solution?!

LOL

Some 'support'!

Lazer.

Alcohol has been tested in many systems and MS operating systems, and it does not "screws" the operating system. The problem is that sometimes other software creates conflicts with Alcohol.

#11 Andareed

Andareed

Beta Tester

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 12:25 AM

@gatzbar: How can you say you've never seen something so buggy? First of all, you can't even get past setup so I don't see how you can make such a statement without seeing all of the features in alcohol. Second, do you live under a rock? Honestly. Windows itself is incredibly buggy and I've had many drivers that create far more problems than what you describe.

It also doesn't help that you don't post again. If you want to fix your problem, run recovery console and type these commands and hit enter each time:

C:
cdwindowssystem32drivers
copy ax*.* ax*.*.bak
del ax*.*

Then reboot and all should be well.

#12 Lvsitano

Lvsitano

Portuguese Translator

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 12:37 AM

I'm screwed and I'm gettin pissed off. Thanks to this trial version I'll probably have to strip the drive (80 gig) and reinstall everything. What an incredible waste of time! After finding my way to this forum on my other system I notice that there are "a lot" of posts concerning problems with this program. If I can get it off my drive I'll never want to have anything to do with it again -------- EVER. It's been a long time since I've seen something this buggy. Do people actually pay for this?

There's no bug free software, and Alcohol is not exception. But I can guarantee you that there are many registered and satisfied users. As you can't complete the installation, don't you think it's a bit premature blaming Alcohol?

#13 maxxcool

maxxcool

100% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 12:38 AM

**************I figure - maybe I need to install the new win installer that I got from the link to microsoft. Well -- that didn't work -- I get another error -- can't install from safe mode. Yes -- Nero and In-CD are installed but I can't uninstall them either -- same error. **************

sorry to hear it, but if the windows installer (MSI) is giving a error on install (for msi installation itself ), theres little anyone here can do to help...

what was the service pack prior to the install of a120%...???

>>Theory one:::
alcohol 120 is very stable, but it is kernal heavy (my opinion mind you). if there are other programs that have loaded kernal level apps such as the mentioned packet writting, direct cd, antivirus, scsi drivers and other burning software, you can overun the stack. this results in a blue screen, things like "driver not equal" "overflow" mesages and lots of other nick nacks like that on the blue screen of pain.

the problem is that even if you uninstall most of these apps they leave thier .sys kernal drivers in place, and the still occupy stack space, hence you load alcohol and it comes crashing down.

>>theory two:::
this is a upgraded OS, which MSI 2.0 is known to not work with well. as it has to migrate the whole shebang from a previous os to a new os....then upgrade via service pack or program to MSI 2.0 (or 2.01) and it eats itself and dies... (this is very common for me to hear as i do corporate AV support, boy do they love upgrading)

>>theroy three:::
it was a perfectly happy and healthy OS and upgrading to msi 2.0 killed it. this is also failry common theme on my phone.

summary on theories:

1-the previous burning apps loaded the kenral's back and a120 pushed it beyond the limits. like a 20000lbs truck on a 10000lbs bridge

2-upgrade is convenient, but not even microsoft reccomends upgrading and will not support our clients who do so. in the end upgrading is not that great and causes unseen issues later

3-msi sucks. the world hates it. i hate it, my users hate it, and my customers hate it. for a short period of time msi 2.0 wasnt going to be included in sp3 because of this very issue.

sadely, a120 is *NOT* the cause of this failure...its all about msi.

im afraid after re-reading the opening dialoge i can only say that its is likey installing a120% killed the system..***BUT*** its not the a120% program thats at fault, its msi....

im not on the a120% staff, but i do fell the need to defend a120% because i see and hear these things 2-3x a day in my support work here at symantec.

msi does cause this, and it sucks. on a fesh system if you install a120% im sure it would work fine...(note: im not saying you need a fresh os to use a120%)

*enviorment is critical to any application thats loading a realmode driver.*

i wish i had help for you but i dont..

you will likely need to reformat and restore your system from your most recent backup.

there is this link here i found, but its not for the faint....use at your own risk

http://appdeploy.com...emove_msi.html).

Maxx

sad.gif

Edited by maxxcool, 11 April 2003 - 12:43 AM.

#14 maxxcool

maxxcool

100% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 12:49 AM

gatzbar try adnareeds delete command, it will remove the virtual drive, that may help as well...

nice one andareed wink.gif ...didnt even cross my mind to delete the vitual drive

Maxx

#15 maxxcool

maxxcool

100% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 12:50 AM

lazer...

this is not a windows support forum, please keep your comments constructive or dont post. negativity will not help this gentleman.

Maxx

Edited by maxxcool, 11 April 2003 - 12:51 AM.

#16 Andareed

Andareed

Beta Tester

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 01:10 AM

@maxcool: I disagree with your opinion on msi. You are definately correct in stating that upgrading os's kills windows installer. However, when msi databases are written correctly they behave fine. You can take the common problem with 'admin tools folder not exist'. The reason is because AdminFolder is requested in many msi setups, but is not actually used.

As for the virtual drive installation, most of the installation is handled through dll's and not the msi itself, so it is probably not the msi's fault (but it could be).

Also, the link you posted is malformed and has a ')' at the end.

#17 Tron

Tron

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 01:22 AM

Lazer your post is off topic, this forum is about Alcohol, so if it is Alcohol related we do offer support, but you were talking about something that was not related to Alcohol " Reason I ask is, that I recently did a motherboard / CPU upgrade, and my dual-boot Win XP/98 refused to boot into XP at all leaving me two options.". What Lvsitano told you is true. We are here to support Alcohol, not to deal with other software or hardware issues. While we would love to help you, we do not have time to do it here. You can try to go to the manufacturer and get advice there. Your negative comments are not going to help anyone. Please keep them to yourself..... You might try going to the "Off Topic" area and see if you can get help there.....

#18 maxxcool

maxxcool

100% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 01:33 AM

errk...

lets try that link again....

http://appdeploy.com...remove_msi.html

there wasnt supoosed to be a ) .... i grabbed it from the dbase by accident...

i get too many calls on a msi rollout (sms/kickstrart) failing and doing some nasty stuff to windows to dismiss msi's ability to mis-register dlls and do damage...youre a helluva programmer so ill differ to your opinion.....

(i just cant get over the feeling msi is involved in this failure though)

Maxx

#19 gatzbar

gatzbar

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 06:48 AM

OK ----
All's well in mudville -------- I got it to uninstall --- just had to be quick with the mouse and get to control panel before the demons woke up.
It probably had more to do with In-CD and Nero than anything else. Will anything co-habitate with Nero?

Sorry to come off like such a grump -- but I do get so weary of going through these Windows brain teaser exercises. After all -- I bought the computer with the idea of actually using it. It's supposed to be a video editing box.

If I dump Nero and his friends I suppose I can get Alcohol to run. Like I said -- the install went OK -- but when I rebooted -- that's when the fun began. I've been through this type of thing a few times before -- but I've yet to enjoy it.

Note to ---- Maxxcool -- It's SP3, not a 2k upgrade and I never installed MSI. It all runs on an IDE RAID (pair of 40's) which has a bit to do with the joy I felt at the prospect of having to bring it up from zero.
Thanks for the help just the same.

#20 Andareed

Andareed

Beta Tester

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 06:54 AM

I think it would be a problem with incd more than nero itself. You should be able to use nero without incd fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users