Photo

Alcohol 120 on Windows 10 (can't instal a device driver)

windows 10

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 VFRU

VFRU

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:13 PM

Hi,

I can't install Alcohol 120 on Windows 10. During an installation it communicates that it can't install a driver for a device. After installation Alcohol starts but there is no a virtual CD so it's impossible to mount an image.

After reading your forum I had updated SPTD for 2.4 version from 2.2 but it didn't help. Could you advise something else?

I see that the issue appeared quite a long time ago (at least a few months ago) but it hasn't still been resolved. When could we expect it will be resolved?

#2 NARS

NARS

Forum Administration

• Administration
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:31 PM

Please try to uninstall Alcohol and then also uninstall SPTD Layer driver using the standalone installer from Duplex Secure, you can download it at:
http://www.duplexsec...om/en/downloads

Then please make sure you re-install the latest version of Alcohol.

Please let me know if you still get any error messages.

#3 VFRU

VFRU

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 12:05 AM

Please try to uninstall Alcohol and then also uninstall SPTD Layer driver using the standalone installer from Duplex Secure, you can download it at:
http://www.duplexsec...om/en/downloads

Then please make sure you re-install the latest version of Alcohol.

Please let me know if you still get any error messages.

I've done what you wrote. Uninstal, start installation of the latest version. Unfortunatelly the result is the same.

The message is "Alcohol Virtual AHCI Controller Management Service. Device driver installation failed"

Could you please help?

#4 Jules

Jules

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 03:56 PM

The same problem is the subject of another topic titled "Unable to add virtual drive", and the same solution has been suggested, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working, at least not for all users. Apart from the ones who have contributed to these topics, I know of many people who have been using Alcohol120 for years who cannot use it any longer.

I do hope a solution is found soon. I am sure everybody will understand that these comments are only meant to be proactive, for the benefit of all users and - might I add - for AlcoholSoft as well.

Thank you.

#5 NARS

NARS

Forum Administration

• Administration
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 11:09 AM

Please try the instructions below to fully clean Alcohol and SPTD from your system and try to install it again:

To uninstall Alcohol you should use the Uninstall icon on Alcohol program group in the Start menu. For the case you have deleted Alcohol Uninstall icon from Start menu you should just browse to Alcohol folder and manually run "uninst.exe".

If you are unable to uninstall Alcohol using the uninstaller (this means installation is corrupted) then please just delete all files from Alcohol folder (default: "C:\Program Files\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120" on 64-bit systems), then download and run the following tool to completely remove SPTD driver installed by Alcohol:
http://forum.alcohol...s/sptdremov.exe
After removing SPTD from your system and restarting Windows as requested by the tool (please note that you may need to reboot twice in some cases, the tool will tell you) then please try to reinstall the latest version of Alcohol again.

Alternatively to the sptdremov tool you may remove SPTD manually, to do it please run regedit.exe, then browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ and delete sptd and sptd2 key (you may need to adjust cfg key permissions to delete it). Also please browse to c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers and delete sptd.sys and sptd2.sys file(s). Restart Windows. If you were unable to delete SPTD key in registry then please try to delete it again now, after deleting the driver file(s) and restarting Windows, or just try to remove it in Windows safe-mode, it is very important you delete this key.

If you continue having problems please try to temporarily disable (or even uninstall) your real-time antivirus, firewall or any other security software and try to install Alcohol again. We had some reports recently of anti-virus and security software (like ZoneAlarm, Spyware Doctor, F-Secure and PC Tools ThreadFire products) preventing SPTD to install and/or work correctly.

#6 Jules

Jules

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:28 PM

Thank you for your detailed explanation. Unfortunately the problem is still there. I have tried uninstalling SPTD both ways (using the tool and manually), removing everything fom the registry, but to no avail: when reinstalling Alcohol, the message Device driver installation failed appears again.

Any solutions? Thank you.

#7 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 09:22 PM

Duplex Secure released SPTD 2.05, please try it.

#8 Jules

Jules

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:55 PM

I have just downloaded Version 2.0.3.8314. The message "Device driver installation failed" does not appear any longer during installation and at last it is possible to create virtual drivers again! Good job. Thank you!

#9 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 08:56 PM

Thanks for informing.

#10 jramon

jramon

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 12:19 AM

I have just downloaded Version 2.0.3.8314. The message "Device driver installation failed" does not appear any longer during installation and at last it is possible to create virtual drivers again! Good job. Thank you!

"Failed to create key Basic\UI", in Windows 10 64 bits the last version of Alcohol 120, i have a dvd LG BD

#11 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 08:05 PM

Is this the exact error message? Can you try installing Alcohol in safe mode?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users