1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 01:29 PM

Hello everybody,

I was just looking at a news site when i found this:

http://www.newscient...p?id=ns99994248

It's about a new cd protection that backups will look like good backups, but in fact after a period of time the date 'fade' away and your backup will be unplayable.

So my quaestion, does the alcohol team already know about this?
And if yes are you already busy with it?

I hope that we still can make nice working backup in the futereif this new protection rolls in.

Greets,
PluiS.

#2 Tigerite

Tigerite

120% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 01:41 PM

"Fade was devised by Richard Darling, who founded Codemasters 16 years ago, and has now been included in Macrovision's SafeDisc anti-piracy system."

Great.

#3 Andareed

Andareed

Beta Tester

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 05:31 PM

Fade is hardly a new protection. It has been used on some securom games already.

From what I understand, if you make a 1:1 backup (with or without emulation needed), fade won't affect you. However, if you make a half-good backup, games will slowly become unplayable.

#4 PluiS

PluiS

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 05:45 PM

Ehm, okay so if a make a good image i will be capable of using it without problems?
Does somebody if there are already released with this protection yet? So yes what games?

Thanks,
PluiS

#5 Sloopy_DE

Sloopy_DE

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 222 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 05:57 PM

Hi,

I'm quite sure that FADE is only a marketing concept. They once announced it already some months maybe a year ago, but it was never seen in real that time.

If they release it in real this time they can only do it in conjunction with a technical protection scheme like safedisc because FADE is no new technical protection, its only a new set of reactions the programm shows if the technical protection check fails. And if you have a perfect image the technical check will not fail wink.gif

Regards,

Sloopy_DE

#6 PluiS

PluiS

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 October 2003 - 02:12 PM

Thank you Sloopy_DE that's some nice news to hear biggrin.gif,
If the image is always good, then i don't care if i cannot burn it 1:1.
I wil just do as i do with securom 4 images, just burn the whole image as date on the dvd and then mount the image straight from dvd =].

Greets,
PluiS

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users