5 replies to this topic

#1 Tschens

Tschens

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 07:30 AM

THere exists a tool to chanbge the book ype of a DVD +R to DVD-ROM.
This works very well for example with Record Now Max. Alcohol 120 seems to overwrite the settings done with bitsetting tool, because after burning the disk book type is DVD +R, and not DVD-Rom.
Would be a great advantage to improve compatibility, especially with XBox and PS2 games.

#2 IGL

IGL

100% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 426 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 12:25 PM

this also depends on your dvd burner.
if i remember correctly, changing the booktype only works in single format drives.

#3 Tschens

Tschens

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 05:30 PM

This is not true. I have the dual format drive LiteOn 811S, and together with RNM it definitly supports bitsetting (with the tool programmed for the LiteOn drives), but Alcohol 120% "overwrites" the bitsetting like some versions of Nero as well.

#4 IGL

IGL

100% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 426 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 05:58 PM

but this tool has not been released officially. it leaked. real _official_ support for bitsetting only have some single format drives (e.g. ricoh).

#5 Tschens

Tschens

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 04:33 PM

I dont want to discuss where the bitsetting tool came from and how.. wink.gif
Let me explain my experience more precisely:

When I activate the bitsetting tool and burn a DVD+R with RNM, I get definitely a DVD with the booktype "DVD-ROM". I checked this with several programs. When I do the same with Alcohol 120%, I get the book type DVD+R.

Some home DVD players have a firmware which prevents them to read +R book-type (although the drive would be able to read it!!), so only the DVD which was burned with RNM will play on this device, but not the one burned with Alcohol!!

We are talking about compatibility issues regarding Stand Alone players, xbox, PS2,....!

#6 IGL

IGL

100% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 426 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 06:11 PM

i know what bitsetting is... smile.gif

reading cdfreaks forum for a long time now wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users