4 replies to this topic

#1 Nbenjamin

Nbenjamin

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 02:05 PM

As the topic suggests, the trial version of alcohol 120% installs malware during the installation process. I downloaded the installation from the official www.alcohol-soft.com site. 

The malware is not one of the software bundles suggested. 

So far I picked up 2 malware this installation infected my pc with:

1. Omiga+
  2. Solution Real

You can google omiga+ and all of the first page results is related to removing this unwanted software.

Solution real has at least 3 entries on first page on google to remove this malware.

This issue should make it impossible to gain users trust to purchase your product.

#2 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 09:14 PM

You mean that this stuff was installed without your consent? Are you sure that it really has to do with the Alcohol's downloader?

#3 NARS

NARS

Forum Administration

• Administration
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:49 AM

Trial and Free versions of Alcohol include a download manager, as included in most major download sites nowadays, such download manager may offer you optional 3rd party software, when you run the download manager just ensure you disable any option to install 3rd party software and nothing extra should be installed on your system.

#4 172pilot

172pilot

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 05:24 PM

It may be true that you can opt-out of installing the MalWare, but at least with Windows 7, the existence of it is detected first, and IE prevents the download from occurring in the first place.  I could "get around" this by using another browser, but I don't think I should have to go to extraordinary steps to "allow" downloading Malware, just to try this software. 

It also may be true that it's not uncommon for some companies to use a downloader for installation of their software, but it's also common to provide an alternate direct download link.

I have just spent 20 minutes TRYING to be a customer of yours, but you're making it too hard, and I'm not an inexperienced user.  I think you should reevaluate your distribution methods.. if you can't afford the bandwidth to let us download directly, then how about a torrent file or something?  Afterall, it's just a DEMO version...  it's not like I'm trying to torrent a hacked copy of the full thing or anything, which, come to think of it would probably be easier than what I'm going through now..

#5 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:51 PM

You don't have to download anything, only the installation of Smart File Advisor is obligatory in the trial version.

It may be true that you can opt-out of installing the MalWare, but at least with Windows 7, the existence of it is detected first, and IE prevents the download from occurring in the first place.  I could "get around" this by using another browser, but I don't think I should have to go to extraordinary steps to "allow" downloading Malware, just to try this software. 

It also may be true that it's not uncommon for some companies to use a downloader for installation of their software, but it's also common to provide an alternate direct download link.

I have just spent 20 minutes TRYING to be a customer of yours, but you're making it too hard, and I'm not an inexperienced user.  I think you should reevaluate your distribution methods.. if you can't afford the bandwidth to let us download directly, then how about a torrent file or something?  Afterall, it's just a DEMO version...  it's not like I'm trying to torrent a hacked copy of the full thing or anything, which, come to think of it would probably be easier than what I'm going through now..

Can you explain what is your problem exactly?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: installation, malware

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users