Photo

Problems creating Virtual Drive

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 Trial User_besweeet_*

Trial User_besweeet_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2019 - 07:39 PM

Joined to say that I have no problems with Alcohol 52% on W10 1809 (OS Build 17763.404).

#42 Onitsuka

Onitsuka

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 04:33 PM

I did the update to Windows 10 1809 and it worked yesterday but now the problem happens again today.

I have the following windows updates over the last two days. Which one do you think is causing the problem now?

KB4486553

KB4493509

KB4462930

KB4483452

KB4493478

I have the same problem as you.

#43 Rezzin8

Rezzin8

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 10:05 PM

Using Alcohol 120% on Windows 10 64bit version 1809 with those updates mentioned earlier and I can no longer create virtual drives once again but I can confirm that the portable version works fine with creating virtual drives for now. :D

#44 ianwelch

ianwelch

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 04:59 AM

Thanks for the Alcohol Portable. That works great.

#45 Anaritos

Anaritos

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:40 AM

This appears to be related to updates installed by Microsoft in preparation for the update to Windows 10 1903, we have recently had reports from users who have no virtual drives on Windows 10 1809 our developer and Duplex Secure who make the SPTD driver are working on this.

You could try using our portable version if you require a virtual drive which you can download here:  http://www.alcohol-s...ol_portable.php.

It works! Thank you!

#46 martin2k

martin2k

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 11:13 AM

Thanks the portable version works. Just wondered why you can't use the portable driver to fix the other apps e.g. 52% and 120%?

#47 Zeoran

Zeoran

1% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:19 PM

I had problems with this starting with the 1809 update and it's continuing with the 1903 update. I tried uninstalling the program and re-installing but it hasn't fixed the problem.  I can't clean install my copy of Windows 10.  Until you guys get this fixed, I'm just going to have to run Virtual CloneDrive from Elaborate Bytes, at least it's free and simple to install/use. But I'd like to get full functionality of this program back. 

#48 Robbo

Robbo

Forum Administration

• Administration
  • 6,740 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 02:51 PM

Our Development Team hope to release shortly a new version that fixes this problem.

#49 pabloa2

pabloa2

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 10:20 AM

After about two hours digging I found a somewhat simple solution to this problem, however, there is a caveat. The problem arises because Microsoft enabled something called "retpoline" by default via a recent cumulative update. Retpoline is a Spectre Variant 2 mitigation developed by Google which aims to provide Spectre V2 mitigation without performance degradation. I don't know the technical details of why this mitigation disallows installation of the AHCI virtual device driver. Here are the steps I took to get the Alcohol 120% virtual device working again on my fully updated (as of June 2019) Windows 10 v1809 system:

1. Use Alcohol 120% uninstaller present in the Alcohol installation directory (named "uninst.exe") to uninstall Alcohol 120% and related registry items.

2. Reboot computer

3. Disable Spectre V2 mitigation only via steps provided by Microsoft from this article → https://support.micr...rabilities-prot

OR type these commands into an elevated/administrator PowerShell prompt:

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverrideMask /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

4. Reboot computer

5. Reinstall Alcohol 120%

Caveats:

This will disable retpoline which might degrade performance very slightly (~1-3 percent). In my usage case it doesn't matter because I already have the latest Intel microcode installed via BIOS. On Intel Skylake processors and higher retpoline is disabled by default because it is not needed on those processors and is ineffective. If you feel safe disabling retpoline and have the latest processor microcode in your bios then you should be safe with this fix. Remember that this disables Spectre V2 software mitigation so if you have the latest microcode installed in your BIOS (hardware) then you will still be protected against Spectre V2, albeit without retpoline and its negligible performance gains.

#50 zezojo

zezojo

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 05:27 AM

Thanks for all the information and please wait for the next version of Alcohol. Until then you can uninstall the two mentioned updates that cause trouble (KBKB4462933 and KB4467702) or try with Windows 10 1809.

Looking forward to the new version because I cannot use it on Windows 10 19H1 (Version 1903, Build 18362).

error.png

#51 Cold123

Cold123

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:08 PM

Ok, so, huge problem regarding this on 1903 update, simply the virtual driver doesn't work. I tried to reinstall but it gives "install error" and works off. I uninstall this and I've tried to use SPTD remover to make a clean sheet. Windows fall out and I wasn't able to start my pc at all. Luckily I had a backup copy to use, so I gain it back. 

I uninstall Alcohol 120% and I think I will not re install it again because there's too much problems about this program, it's clear that there's no development from months and no good support about bugs, windows has simply destroyed it.

Luckily portable free version is still able to mount ISO file (strange), I will use it untill microsoft allows it to work.

#52 sbkw1983

sbkw1983

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:49 PM

How's the problem fixing coming along?  We're coming up on three weeks, and I sincerely don't mean to be a bother, but I purchased a copy, and, yeah...

#53 Tastenkasper

Tastenkasper

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 11:06 AM

German/Deutsch

Hallo liebe Leute, ich habe ein problem mit Alcohol 120% (2.0.3.11012).

Ich hab unter Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise 64 Bit 1903 b.z.w. 19H1 Alcohol 120% v2.0.3.11012 installiert.
Das Programm erzeugt leider kein Virtuelles Laufwerk. Arbeitet Alcohol-Soft dran oder wurde die Weiterentwicklung eingestellt?

Gruß, Tastenkasper

English/Englisch
Hello dear people, I have a problem with Alcohol 120% (2.0.3.11012).
I have Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise 64 bit 1903 b.z.w. 19H1 Alcohol 120% v2.0.3.11012 installed. The program unfortunately does not generate a virtual drive. Is Alcohol-Soft working or has the development been discontinued? Greetings, Tastenkasper

Hello dear people, I have a problem with Alcohol 120% (2.0.3.11012). I have Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise 64 bit 1903 b.z.w. 19H1 Alcohol 120% v2.0.3.11012 installed. The program unfortunately does not generate a virtual drive. Is Alcohol-Soft working or has the development been discontinued? Greetings,

#54 justinbloom

justinbloom

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 04:14 AM

Is this a problem again. I can't seem to create a virtual drive right now. I recently installed a large Windows update, but I don't know if that is when the problem started.

#55 antonywardle

antonywardle

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:59 AM

Did you figure out a fix yet?

#56 NARS

NARS

Forum Administration

• Administration
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 04:15 AM

Please try to download and install the latest version of Alcohol instead and please let us know if you still have problems.

#57 Achilles

Achilles

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 08:10 AM

Can't create a virtual drive or burn anything. I am on the latest version I believe because it won't let me update to any other version. Microsoft's war on Alcoholsoft? 

#58 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 07:42 PM

Which is the version of Windows and which is the version of Alcohol that you have?

#59 Squall_Leonhart

Squall_Leonhart

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 February 2022 - 08:56 AM

After about two hours digging I found a somewhat simple solution to this problem, however, there is a caveat. The problem arises because Microsoft enabled something called "retpoline" by default via a recent cumulative update. Retpoline is a Spectre Variant 2 mitigation developed by Google which aims to provide Spectre V2 mitigation without performance degradation. I don't know the technical details of why this mitigation disallows installation of the AHCI virtual device driver. Here are the steps I took to get the Alcohol 120% virtual device working again on my fully updated (as of June 2019) Windows 10 v1809 system:

1. Use Alcohol 120% uninstaller present in the Alcohol installation directory (named "uninst.exe") to uninstall Alcohol 120% and related registry items.

2. Reboot computer

3. Disable Spectre V2 mitigation only via steps provided by Microsoft from this article → https://support.micr...rabilities-prot

OR type these commands into an elevated/administrator PowerShell prompt:

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverrideMask /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

4. Reboot computer

5. Reinstall Alcohol 120%

Caveats:

This will disable retpoline which might degrade performance very slightly (~1-3 percent). In my usage case it doesn't matter because I already have the latest Intel microcode installed via BIOS. On Intel Skylake processors and higher retpoline is disabled by default because it is not needed on those processors and is ineffective. If you feel safe disabling retpoline and have the latest processor microcode in your bios then you should be safe with this fix. Remember that this disables Spectre V2 software mitigation so if you have the latest microcode installed in your BIOS (hardware) then you will still be protected against Spectre V2, albeit without retpoline and its negligible performance gains.

It has never had anything to do with retpoline itself, the issue is caused by the Kernel Import Optimization.

#60 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 23 February 2022 - 08:19 PM

For this user the cause seems that it was retpoline since he solved his problem in the way he describes, perhaps any other who has the same problem should try his solution in case it helps.

Alcohol has disabled the Kernel Import Optimization on Windows 10 with 2.1.0.20601 and later, surely someone can come up with a way to implement the Virtual AHCI controller without disabling this?

That's what you say in your other post. You mean that Alcohol disables Kernel Import Optimisation or that you have to disable it in order to create a virtual drive? If it is the first then perhaps this is the simple reason that Alcohol disables Kernel Import Optimisation (if it can't create virtual drives with it) and I don't know if there can be a solution to this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users