• This topic is locked This topic is locked
69 replies to this topic

#21 shawn_nee

shawn_nee

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 07:29 PM

People are pushing for this new version but when MS decides to release it, it will most likely be like all other releases. Besides can you image what the cost for it might be? XP is still $250.00 for the full home version, so you can imagin the full home version of the Longhorn will be around $4-500 easily. How many people are going to fork out for that as soon as it hits. Granted there are a lot of people that have the beta for it also, but it is not considered high priority yet based on some of the responses.

#22 abz0ract

abz0ract

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 02:41 AM

So, is there any idea how long after Windows x86-64 version goes gold there will be a version of alcohol supporting it?

Being on the a64 platform for a while now myself, I have used the Windows 64-bit Extended OS for some time, and... I agree it isn't the best of OS's in it's current state.

It would be nice to know if a version of Alcohol will be ready to meet with Windows 64 Bit extended at release time, or, if I will be waiting a little longer before that OS upgrade I am actually looking forward to.

Please, don't consider this a winge or anything... I love your product(s).

Regards,
Dion

#23 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 02:54 AM

Alcohol Software never gives out a release date for their products. That way they don't have to worry about missing a release date and having people upset at them. When/if they go this route, it will be released when it's ready.

Edited by Jito463, 04 June 2004 - 02:55 AM.

#24 abz0ract

abz0ract

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 03:17 AM

Since (as far as I know) Microsoft havn't released a firm date of release for the OS, I think that is a more than valid answer to my question smile.gif

Thanks.

Would it be rude to ask if development on this software would have begun?

As microsoft would lead us (the stupid public) to believe recompiling applications (& drivers) for 64-bit use is a simple task. And, I'd imagine the developer tools for x86-64 Windows would be a final product by now (could I be wrong?) Again, don't take this as a winge.... just a general enquiry.

Alcohol isn't the only reason I'm not using windows XP-64bit smile.gif

I just found this forum more easily accessable than other software developers.

Thanks again,
Dion

#25 ShutDown

ShutDown

120% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 09:27 AM

I don't know for sure, but i doubt they are working on this at this moment in time. They have a lot of other features to add to the software like backing up protected DVD's, pre mastering, countering the latest black listing etc etc...

#26 shawn_nee

shawn_nee

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 04:12 PM

Well I cant tell you much, but I will tell you that members that have purchased the software and are registered members are notified of upgrades faster than the general public. So if you are interested in this version purchase a copy and get signed up in the customer forums. Not only will you have the full version of the software, but your purchase will help fund the R&D needed to improve it.

#27 linuxkidd

linuxkidd

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 01:40 AM

The answers in this thread from 'official' Alcohol people seems to be nothing more than a dancing act to avoid telling US, the users ... that they aren't working on a WinXP 64bit version... And currently don't plan to. :no: To them, it seems... WE are a niche, and are not important enough at this time to investigate the re-compilation of already existing code for a 64bit environment. sad.gif

I do in fact LOVE the software... but PLEASE! consider porting what you have over to 64bit, even if in beta... So that we can take full advantage of these powerful Systems!

Edited by linuxkidd, 05 June 2004 - 01:49 AM.

#28 Andareed

Andareed

Beta Tester

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 05:46 AM

It is still planned, it is just not the highest priority.

#29 dimension128

dimension128

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 06:06 AM

Im currently using the alcohol120 Demo,, I don't want to buy until I know im going to be able to use it.

Pretty soon i will be deleting my windows XPpro 32bit partition completely and using 64bit beta only. 64bit Runs more stable, faster, and all around better than 32.

so far ALL of my drivers for my system have at least beta drivers for 64 bit.
And all my games seem to run smoother on it. Probably because of the Nvidia 64 bit drivers. I just wish i could go back to running my games off cd images rather than the cds.

If i want to play "game name here" I half to re boot into winxpPro32bit and load up the iso and burn a cd , then re boot into 64 and install it, but then a few days later that cd comes up missing, or it gets trashed.

I loathe cds, they are the dumbest storage solution ever invented. I would much rather have one Magnetic drive large enough to store everything, or even cartridges for games, like nintendo used to do.
I don't need my games to be small enough to fit through the grate of a register, or somehow slide behind the desk easily fitting between the desk and the wall. But since the rest of the world seems to think that a plastic frisbee that doesn't even fly properly that has a very scratch able surface is somehow better than having a durable cartridge, I need some sort of cd emulation software.

angry.gif But if it is not compatible with my computer what do I do? angry.gif

please tell me that I didnt make a mistake in buying this CPU. By the time i can even use it properly the price will have dropped so much that its starting to look like i was stupid to buy it so soon.
So in other words, its companys like you that creat a negitave reputation on the idea of buying new technology. And part of the reason people are affraid to do so.

#30 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 07:38 AM

QUOTE (dimension128 @ Jun 21 2004, 07:18 AM)
So in other words, its companys like you that creat a negitave reputation on the idea of buying new technology. And part of the reason people are affraid to do so.

At the moment there is only a beta version of the 64Bit version of Windows available. Many software company's will stave off development work until there is at least a sign of it being released soon.

Software that works in a Beta, may not necessarily work in the Final product, therefore the potential to waste countless development hours is there.

Alcohol is not trying to create a negative effect by not making it its highest priority. Its best to fix existing issues and problems for the majority of users who are using 32Bit OS's on 32Bit CPU's.

Unfortunately this is the risk you run when buying new technology when there isn't a standard Windows platform for it. I'm sure when MS finally releases it and the CPU's become mainstream you'll be happy.

With any new technology, if you buy when it first comes out you always stand to lose money. Its a sign on the times unfortunately. I lost over $300 on my cellphone the following week after I bought it.

Rest assured, Alcohol is aware of the growing interest in a 64Bit version.

#31 buzz1

buzz1

1% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 01:31 PM

I would be interested in a 64bit version of Alcohol 120%, as I want to upgrade my system to a AMD64 and Windows XP Pro 64 Bit (Beta) but I think it pointless upgrading my hardware as I wont be able to use 64 bit Windows until Alcohol works on it.

I know Windows 64 bit is still in Beta but there seams to be a lot of people using it, as such would it not be worth trying to find what user demand is.

#32 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 05:36 AM

Well, I'm making the switch to a AMD64 in the next couple of days (though still using 32-bit Windows). I know the devs will eventually make a 64-bit version, we just have to be patient as they are currently spending all their time just fixing the blacklists and working on the DVD copying. Here's to hoping, and a little more patience.

#33 fr0stb1t3

fr0stb1t3

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 07:06 PM

Windows64bit is moving ahead quite abit, and I keep finding myself needing this software on there, check out www.planetamd64.com, I'm sure 99% of the people there would be very interested in this.

And at the current level that win64 is, I don't even have a win32 install anymore, don't see a use, it is actually more stable for me. There's no way they could make any major changes for it at this point in time, considering all the software and drivers that are already developed. The rumors going around some of the 64bit developing community is that RC1 is do out the 6th of december for a customer preview, so there's no worry that it will be changed so drastically that your software wouldn't work again

There's 8053 users, that are potential customers, on that one website, and that's only ones who know about the site, I'm sure there's exponentially more users that would be interested, that's alot of money.

Edited by fr0stb1t3, 05 December 2004 - 07:10 PM.

#34 kloper

kloper

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 03:07 AM

Well, add me on the list. Everything's working great on Windows XP 64 except for Alcohol. I would be very interested in being a tester if you guys are even doing that smile.gif

#35 Asky

Asky

10% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE (kloper @ Dec 10 2004, 04:19 AM)
I would be very interested in being a tester if you guys are even doing that smile.gif

they're not...yet...

#36 bridge1999

bridge1999

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 08:24 PM

it would be nice to see a working ver running under Win XP 64. As for now i have had to use a 2nd box to hold my ISOs and share out the vitural drive over my networ works great for installs not so sure about games.

#37 froboy

froboy

1% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 04:50 PM

Well guys, Windows XP x64 RC1 is out and from all accounts VERY usable and stable. I just purchased this program a couple of weeks ago and would love to see an x64 port even if it delays the next version of Alcohol for a month.

#38 EPOX123

EPOX123

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 05:11 PM

w2k3sp1_1289_usa_x64fre_pro is out now and its RC1 soon to be final i think this is a great time for you to hury up dev on new version or mabe update, atleast sell it buy allowing people to download after purchase...
for info go to winbeta.org

#39 grennis

grennis

1% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:24 PM

Agreed with above posters.

- XP 64 build 1289 (released MSDN December 2004, public January 2005) is rock solid, fast, and stable

- Everything works for me in 32-bit mode, OR the software has a 64-bit version

- We are NOT talking about Longhorn, that is something different.

Not sure why you guys want to wait until Xp-64 is released to start supporting it. As a developer myself I would much rather get it up and running, and get people testing it out for me, as the OS is still in beta. If you wait you are just going to get a bunch of pissed of customers and not much else.

The way a CD drive works in the OS is not going to change at this point... they are just doing cosmetic changes to XP-64 now... fact is, it's "done" for your purposes.

So PLEASE tell me you are working on this!! Its the only reason I cant fully switch.

:nuke:

#40 grennis

grennis

1% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE (grennis @ Jan 8 2005, 04:36 PM)
Agreed with above posters.

- XP 64 build 1289 (released MSDN December 2004, public January 2005) is rock solid, fast, and stable

- Everything works for me in 32-bit mode, OR the software has a 64-bit version

- We are NOT talking about Longhorn, that is something different.

Not sure why you guys want to wait until Xp-64 is released to start supporting it. As a developer myself I would much rather get it up and running, and get people testing it out for me, as the OS is still in beta. If you wait you are just going to get a bunch of pissed of customers and not much else.

The way a CD drive works in the OS is not going to change at this point... they are just doing cosmetic changes to XP-64 now... fact is, it's "done" for your purposes.

So PLEASE tell me you are working on this!! Its the only reason I cant fully switch.

:nuke:

I'm an existing customer by the way, not sure why it doesn't say "Customer" by my name... sad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users